Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

k341 won't restart

sliderxc

Hey all I was mowing today and almost finished went to engage the pto and the motor struggled then quit before you ask I can turn the mower deck buy hand checked fuel plenty of that checked spark by laying spark plug on head and big blue spark checked compression 120 psi on 3rd crank it feels like it wants to start but just can't see to catch I am at a loss here motor ran fine for 3 months after rebuild now nothing

Take off air cleaner and squirt a small amount of gas into carb and see if it will run momentarily, that will narrow the guess work.

nope I tried that blt nothing it makes the spark plug wet but when I pull the plug and crank it blue flame mabey it might have jumpe time I don't know

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Flywheel shear key?
If it has spark and still won't fire on starting fluid sprayed in the carb this is your best bet. If you don't figure it out send me a message or something and I'll come over and give her a look. I'm getting familiar with Kohlers finally, just rebuilt my kt19 for the 919 I restored and it's kinda rubbing off on me but I still like my Briggs :D Anyways first thing I would try is new spark plug even though it looks like good spark I'd still try that because it's easiest. Second thing is deffinitely check, clean and adjust the points. I've had one that showed spark but wouldn't run until I got the points adjusted right. -Fred

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Flywheel shear key?
never thought of that I will check tomorrow if I figure it out I will post it

What brand spark plugs are you using? I find Champion plugs tend to give out quickly. Had much better luck with Autolite plugs. Champion plugs won't last very long in my old antique farm tractors I collect. I use either the Autolite or AC Delco and get much better results.

Better then 75% of no starting can be attributed to a faulty spark plug regardless of brand. It is an electrical item that can fail at a snap of a finger. That being said, try and collect an exchange unit for the new one that failed, ugh!!!!8C

well pulled it apart and everything looked good the key not sheared as a matter of fact it still looks new but I have to ask when should the points open is it when the S mark is showing on the line and how far open or the T and how far should it be open also could reuse the head gasket or should I get a new one it only has 10 hrs on it

well I took the motor out ripped it down and nothing put it back together put back in tractor hooked it up hit the starter and it fire up only thing I changed was I did a static timing and haven't touched it since will run it tomorrow and see what happens now that I think about it all my problems started after I used a timing light to set the timing after a static time was done does that make sence because thats all I got

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the .020 gap. If the timing is right this is what you want. It the camshaft is worn and you adjust the point to .020 you will change it out of time. Timing is everything, point gap is only relative. Al Eden

well I have run it and it runs pretty good I checked the gap its like .023 and thats with the S centered in the timing hole so I will run it for a while and see what happends

Put the throttle at idle and try to start it. I have had several Kohler engines that would only start at idle when hot. If you opened the throttle any at all they would not start.