Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big 10 Quit Running

bowhunt4life

I was hauling my manure spreader spreading horse manure and on my fourth trip when "pop" the Big 10 quit running. Looks like plenty of fuel in tank. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/55chevy/allisspreader2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/55chevy/allisspreader1.jpg[/IMG] Got her to run but she was missing real bad. Poor spark? I have to haul her out of the field with the craftsman and will be checking spark shortly and topping off fuel and ensuring fuel flow. I did have to take points cover off as a wire was touching the cover resulting in the tractor not starting last week. Gonna check there too. Any thoughts?

Do you have compression(after checking spark). If you had that long of a run before a sudden fail I would say it would stand to possibly be a valve lash or a carbon foul, both check by feel by taking the air cleaner off and placing your hand on the carb throat. If you feel it pull your hand down and not blow back, comp is good. If it does not pull much or it kicks back up the throat(no fire just air;) ) then you have a valve issue.

Chris, If you suspect a valve issue. Try the "Zippo trick"; about a teaspoon of either ATF or PB into the spark hole, give it a couple of hours to settle, then crank the engine w/o fuel or spark plug just to distribute it a bit. Then it's plug in, and fuel on, and start. Wayne

Well I got the Big 10 back up and running. I started with compression, making sure I had it, and I did. I moved on to the plug, which was black, cleaned and checked for spark, had none. Topped off the fuel. Pulled the points cover and Sheclackey! The condenser wire was melted, looks like it melted to the points cover. After trying to tape off the wire and still no spark I cleaned the points and installed a new condenser and Shemow! We have ignition. All appears to be back to normal in my universesm01

Chris, If the condenser wire melted to the points cover, I'd be concerned about the engine being very overheated (clogged head/cylinder fins) and mouse nests in the blower housing. With a "normal/healthy" Briggs engine like this, the temperature in/around the points box should never get close to that of melting wire insulation. Tom(PK)

Thanks Tom. I will check out the fins.When I took the head of and replaced the head gasket there was no evidence of mouse condo's and when I put on the hydro unit again no evidence at all of mouse condo's. I will check though. She is running fine though and shows no signs of struggling at all. Hmmm....

When ever I have a starting problem or lack of power with any of my B series I go to the points first. About 75% of the time that's where the problem will be. usually it oil film on the points or pitted points. And even if it is the points I'll clean the plug because it will most often be carboned up some.