Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad switch?

brockway

I hooked up all the wires on my b10,after repainting it and when I hooked the battery up the starter/generator started to spin. I think that I have everything hooked up right any thoughts.

Try disconnecting one wire at a time on the starter switch. That is most likely where there is something bass ackwards.

OK, here is what I got. I bought a new regulator and it is not totally the same it is the replacement one. The battery terminal is in the middle and F is on one side and the other is not labeled and there is a terminal on the back. It came with no instructions. Has any one had one of these?

Terminal on the back is most likely a ground. Your tractor is negative ground, and the mounting bolts will ground it. You may not even need to connect it. The unlabeled terminal is the "A" armature terminal, also know as the "G" or generator terminal. The terminals on the S/G should be marked on the body of the S/G. Field to field, armature/generator to armature/generator. There is only one other connection to make and that is solenoid to Armature/generator. Big issue is how much power will your regulator allow out to charge. These old tractors only need about 10 amps tops. Car voltage regulators are sometimes 30 amps and higher. See if you can find a number on the regulator, and determine it's specs. Be careful, you can cook a battery or even worse, cause it to explode. Put some picture sof the regulator up, front, back, top and bottom. Even take it apart and put up some pix of the insides. Likely one of our members can ID it.

The terminal on the back is not the ground per an email BLT recently sent me - but I don't remember which it is. (I don't have access to that email atm or I'd look and see what he wrote). An "L" terminal is on some voltage regulators, therefore an "extra" or 4th terminal. (The "L" terminal was mentioned in another recent post) The case is still ground. The I believe these regulators are square rather than rectangular. Based on what you wrote on your response, the "A" terminal is on the back and the "L" terminal is the unlabeled one Hopefully he'll read this post and confirm.

You are right, it is square. So how does that work? What is the A for? When I hook up the wires the way I think I should I get nothing and when I do it another the gen/starter starts to spin the second I hook the the battery up.I am now confused.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
The terminal on the back is not the ground per an email BLT recently sent me - but I don't remember which it is. (I don't have access to that email atm or I'd look and see what he wrote). An "L" terminal is on some voltage regulators, therefore an "extra" or 4th terminal. (The "L" terminal was mentioned in another recent post) The case is still ground. The I believe these regulators are square rather than rectangular. Based on what you wrote on your response, the "A" terminal is on the back and the "L" terminal is the unlabeled one Hopefully he'll read this post and confirm.
It is, "F" to "F" on generator, "B" to battery, "L" to light (not used), and underneath is th "A" terminal which goes to "A" on generator.

Thanks for all the help guys I will give it a shot when I get home from work. I spent the day at the lake with the boys playing in the water.

quote:
Originally posted by brockway
Thanks for all the help guys I will give it a shot when I get home from work. I spent the day at the lake with the boys playing in the water.
Follow BLT's instructions! I had that same issue after replacing mine earlier in the spring. Same exact symptoms... Once I reworked it the thing was great!

Your right Bob knows his stuff.Thanks Bob it fixed my problems. Just finished the tractors tonight now all I got is to make a trailer for pulling the kids behind at the tractor shows.