Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Unlucky Break..............

LesH

I had my Ac garden tractor innocently parked in my shed. I was doing some cleaning and a shovel accidentally fell from the wall hook and hit and broke the carb off the engine..... it is a 12 HP Kohler K series with the float type carb. The 2 flanges are still attached to the engine and the breaks are clean. The carb is of aluminum. Would an epoxy bond the flanges back on?? I believe that heat is an enemy of aluminum. The carb is a little insulated from the engine by the gasket. Anyone have any luck with this kind of repair besides another carb? Thanks.

Give this a shot, you have nothing to lose, besides it is about $3.75 a tube. http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm

i had that problem in the spring only i broke the knobs off the welder switches. had to replace them. there are some great epoxys out there good luck

quote:
Originally posted by LesH
I had my Ac garden tractor innocently parked in my shed. I was doing some cleaning and a shovel accidentally fell from the wall hook and hit and broke the carb off the engine..... it is a 12 HP Kohler K series with the float type carb. The 2 flanges are still attached to the engine and the breaks are clean. The carb is of aluminum. Would an epoxy bond the flanges back on?? I believe that heat is an enemy of aluminum. The carb is a little insulated from the engine by the gasket. Anyone have any luck with this kind of repair besides another carb? Thanks.
I would try JB WELD make sure both parts are clean ruff the ends up alittle with 80 grit sand paper clean it again then mix and apply to both pieces stick it together and clamp it leave it alone for atleast 24 hrs and if that dont work then like willy said you will need another carb

Les, If it were me and for a long term fix, get another carb (body). I'd expect a jury rig fix like a JB Weld attempt to be very short lived if it'd work at all. Tom(PK)

I also vote for JB weld. There is a fast acting one and a slow acting one, I would use the slow one. This stuff has been used on engine heads and blocks.

I had a carb break off in nearly the same place. I took it to a reputable welding shop that does aluminum welding. They welded it and it is still holding today. It is on an old GT that is being used by a family member. Good luck.

I tend to agree with Roger, a good welder is your best bet. It will cost you a few bucks, but the repair will be permanant. I have used JB Weld and Sealall and they both work well, but the vibration of a running engine, along with the weight of the carb hanging on it makes me think these won't last too long. JMHO, of course. Steve

I inflicted that exact same wound on a Vanguard 14hp OHV single I had taken out of a mid 80's Murray. I had it sitting on a milk crate while I was hosing it off after pulling it...rock solid the whole time. I turned my back and it toppled over carb first. I've seen JB Weld do some pretty awesome fixes while I was over in the desert so it would be worth a shot in my book.

Absolutely could be welded! If you were closer I'd weld it for ya. Just make sure its at a reputable weld shop. I've welded for well over a decade and aluminum is some of my favorite welding, but if not done right you'll still be looking for a new carb.