Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MadMike

KT19 Series 2

MadMike
Looking for some advice prior to pulling apart my KT19 series 2. About a year ago, I pulled the heads and checked for glazing, size, etc. Everything looked pretty good so I just deglazed (honed) the cylinders and installed new rings. All was good until recently when I've noticed quite a bit of oil in the air filter housing, and the smell of burning oil. After researching a few posts on here, I pulled the breather tube from the air cleaner and ran the tractor a while. After warm-up, this tube looks and acts like it's own little exhaust. Definite pressure coming out of this hose, and some smoke. Seems to me this would be compression ring failure but I do not have the expertise as many others on this site. All opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

briggs9498
I would check the breather first. If it has the old style breather I would almost be sure that it is the problem. The old style is a rubber mushroom looking type while the new style is a round metal plate with a spring behind it. I just ordered a new style one for my kt19 series 1 which cost about $15.

MadMike
Would a faulty breather cause excessive pressure in the crankcase? Currently, with the breather hose running to open air, I have a lot of pressure coming out of the hose as the engine is running.