Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT19 Series 2

MadMike

Looking for some advice prior to pulling apart my KT19 series 2. About a year ago, I pulled the heads and checked for glazing, size, etc. Everything looked pretty good so I just deglazed (honed) the cylinders and installed new rings. All was good until recently when I've noticed quite a bit of oil in the air filter housing, and the smell of burning oil. After researching a few posts on here, I pulled the breather tube from the air cleaner and ran the tractor a while. After warm-up, this tube looks and acts like it's own little exhaust. Definite pressure coming out of this hose, and some smoke. Seems to me this would be compression ring failure but I do not have the expertise as many others on this site. All opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would check the breather first. If it has the old style breather I would almost be sure that it is the problem. The old style is a rubber mushroom looking type while the new style is a round metal plate with a spring behind it. I just ordered a new style one for my kt19 series 1 which cost about $15.

Would a faulty breather cause excessive pressure in the crankcase? Currently, with the breather hose running to open air, I have a lot of pressure coming out of the hose as the engine is running.

yes, that breather will allow your crankcase to overpressurize, and the seal under the flywheel is gonna push out next