Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do I need to install this Tiller? (Pics)

jsarro

I am considering buying this 36" tiller model # 1690039 for my 3112V.

What parts will I need to install this on my 3112V other than belts? I am not sure what parts make up the rear PTO option and what is missing on my tractor?

I have looked at the manual, but I am not sure exactly what parts I will need to track down. What is the best way to find the parts I will need? Thank You

Jack: According to the "what fits" section, it looks like you need kit # 1690179 for that tiller to work on your tractor. Go to Simplicity's website, click on manuals, then enter 1690179. It will produce a PDF parts list and manual for that kit to show you what it is.

Looking at the parts list and instruction sheet, 1690179 is a drive clutch assembly. And, from the picture it looks like at least part of the drive clutch assembly is on that tractor the tiller's on and would come with it. I can't tell for sure from the pic whether there's parts missing, but I'm sure someone who knows more about that tiller set up will be along shortly. I've personally only really dealt with the older tiller drives.

Thanks Huffy, I am looking at the parts list you referenced, and trying to figure it out. The seller said "You need to have the rear PTO hook up." In my inexperience I thought I had everything until I started looking at some diagrams. I don't know what he is parting with other than the tiller and it's assembly. It does look like there are parts to the assembly that go with it.

I am thinking from looking at all the diagrams, that the clutch assembly is there and comes with the tiller. I just need to run the PTO belt from the rear PTO pulley to the tiller. Anyone experienced with this can confirm or negate me. Thanks

What tractor is it on? Is it similar to yours? Tiller itself is probably circa 75-76, for a 7000series - actually, for a 700-series AC, going by the beautiful hue of AC-Orange. Maybe same or similar kit required to hookup to the yellow tractor - that would be good. But if part of the kit is originally part of that tractor, it should stay there, or could. Part of your kit installs on tiller, part on tractor. The question is: is the kit available or NLA? Basically you want everything that has a belt or pulley on it; except for the ones that run his deck. :D Just grab everything - take the whole tractor with it. :D Then sort it out later. If he's holding on to all the nice drive, clutch, belts, pulleys, etc., then you have a search to do. Don't go there. Unless the price is right. If he has another tiller, he might need those parts. you said: ""The seller said "You need to have the rear PTO hook up." "" That does not sound like you get the parts. Unless the words "and they are included with the tiller" follow. dats my thots - how easy is it to get the kit?

Here's some pics of the manual clutch Ray is talking about:

(The pics are of Paul Bishop's Homelitle revitilizer which has the same manual clutch) The PO may have driven the tiller "direct drive" - whenever the engine's running, the tiller is turning. IMO, this isn't a huge safety issue since the tiller turns relatively slow; you just have to remember in an emergency situation, you have to kill the engine to stop the tiller. Also as Ray said, if you purchase the tiller, make sure you get the idler pulley set that is mounted on the back of the sellers tractor - it has an orange pulley-guard on it that's plainly visible in the pic. If it's reasonably priced, I'd go for it. You can probably get the parts you need to add a manual clutch from a "junk" tiller. You'd just have to be patient.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I am now understanding what I did not see or know before. The what fits what chart shows 1690179 drive clutch is needed for this tiller, or I would assume most tillers to work on my tractor? This clutch does not normally come with a tiller but has to be bought separately.

So now I have a series of parts to try to track down if I want this tiller. The parts listed in this kit are essentially all the parts Ray outlined. Ray makes the idler pulley, however this tiller may have that part with it from picture. I will research more on the parts to the clutch and post and respond more later today to all the great help I received. Thanks

All the early tillers came with the manual clutch since there wasn't the "cone clutch" on the early tractors. After the cone clutch was standard on the tractors, the manual clutch wasn't needed, so the newer tillers just have a spring loaded idler to provide belt tension. The #1690039 is a "newer" tiller. The #990503 tiller Ray mentioned is an older tiller with manual clutch. The clutch kit allowed dealers to convert a "new style" tiller for someone who had a non cone clutch tractor. I believe almost all 36" tillers will fit and be usuable on the large frame tractors. The 32" tillers will not, they're for the small frame tractors. As I mentioned, if the tiller is a good deal, get it and find the manual clutch parts later.

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
What tractor is it on? Is it similar to yours?
It looks like it is on a B10. I thought since it was on a FDT, that I was all set to use it. The back story of the tiller is, the current seller has never used it. He bought it with intentions to use it, but lost interest. He said it turns freely. He has basically been using it as a counter weight. This explains why it was attached but no engagement clutch is present. Although it appears to be AC orange, it is a Simplicity model # for what that's worth.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS The tiller in the picture appears to be a 1690039 which doesn`t have the clutch handle and associated parts to allow to be engaged at the tiller. Maybe whoever owns the tiller made there own engagement. The diagram above that I posted shows the clutch engagement where yours does not. You will also need a 5" pulley (AY in diagram)with a 7/8" bore that will go on the BGB. Download the 990503 tiller from Simplicity and it will show the different parts. Just one belt. The last pictures shows how it is routed.
I understand now that the clutch came with the older tillers like 990503 and the newer ones 1690039 did not have the manual clutch as part of the tiller because it was standard on the newer tractors. Will my existing pulley depicted in the picture's above on the BGB run the belt to the tiller? You mentioned needing the 5" pulley. I downloaded the manual for 990503 and could see the difference in the two tillers on the drive group. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
Here's some pics of the manual clutch Ray is talking about: (The pics are of Paul Bishop's Homelitle revitilizer which has the same manual clutch)
Bill, These photos were really helpful to see the actual manual clutch VS a diagram. Thank You

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
All the early tillers came with the manual clutch since there wasn't the "cone clutch" on the early tractors. The clutch kit allowed dealers to convert a "new style" tiller for someone who had a non cone clutch tractor. As I mentioned, if the tiller is a good deal, get it and find the manual clutch parts later.
Could someone post a picture of the rear of a newer tractor with the "cone clutch"? I would like to be able use the tiller within the next few months if not sooner. I don't know if this is realistic to find these parts in that time frame.

quote:
Originally posted by jsarro

So now I have a series of parts to try to track down if I want this tiller. The parts listed in this kit are essentially all the parts Ray outlined. I will research more on the parts to the clutch and post and respond more later today to all the great help I received.
In the diagram above I need 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, and 18. I believe this matches what Ray has said. I don't see 16 existing in the diagram. I called Well's Implement they said all parts are NLA. I am checking a few other sources for some possible old parts.

Here's some pics of the back end of my 75th:

(ignore the red circled item; the pic was to show someone the Sundstrand hydro vent)

quote:
Originally posted by jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by RayS The tiller in the picture appears to be a 1690039 which doesn`t have the clutch handle and associated parts to allow to be engaged at the tiller. Maybe whoever owns the tiller made there own engagement. The diagram above that I posted shows the clutch engagement where yours does not. You will also need a 5" pulley (AY in diagram)with a 7/8" bore that will go on the BGB. Download the 990503 tiller from Simplicity and it will show the different parts. Just one belt. The last pictures shows how it is routed.
I understand now that the clutch came with the older tillers like 990503 and the newer ones 1690039 did not have the manual clutch as part of the tiller because it was standard on the newer tractors. Will my existing pulley depicted in the picture's above on the BGB run the belt to the tiller? You mentioned needing the 5" pulley. I downloaded the manual for 990503 and could see the difference in the two tillers on the drive group. Thanks
Is the pulley above 5"? I may have the clutch parts for tiller. I will have to look.

Bill, Thanks for the photos showing the tractor with the clutch assembly on the rear. Ray, I measured the outside dimension of the pulley on the left side of the BGB that would be the PTO to the rear at 5". This pulley is the same size as the inner one that gets engaged when the mower deck is in use, just above the idler pulley. If you have the parts that would be awesome, as I hit some dead ends today calling Sandy Lake and Well's Implement.

i am the owner of the tiller numbers on the tiller are model 1690039 serial 021751 it was mounted on a b-10. i have the two pulley idle bracket