Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Noly

Homelite T16S paint choices

Noly
starting to refurbish my AC built Homelite T 16 S what are my choices for repainting it close to the original colors? ideas on decals. thinking about taking pictures and going to a sign shop to have them made. thanks Noly

hamman
When I get mine ready for paint I am going to use Ford Implement Blue and Arctic white. Those are the closest I can find to the original colors. There is an automotive paint retailer that will mix the color you want and put it in rattle cans or bulk mix for spraying if you can bring in original color chips. They scan them and then mix from there. I don't know if you have a paint retailer close to you that can do that or not. Decals can be made by clickitandstickit.com I have seen some of their work and they are great reproductions. I have all of my original decals off and ready to send to them for making new ones when I can afford it. They have a quick turnaround time also. Good luck. Post some pics when you get it done.

JimDk
Here is my T-10 in Ford Blue and Wimbledon White. My wife hand painted the raised letters with some art paint that closly matches the original Homelite color. It is a lighter blue than the Ford blue. I can't remember who, but I'm thinking that a member used a "safety blue" color that was closer to the original. My Ford Blue is from Tractor Supply and is not a good quality paint. It is soft and easily scratched.

SimpleTom
Here is my Homelite T-10 before. [IMG]http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt351/SimpleTomTractors/DSC02150.jpg[/IMG] And now T-16 after. [IMG]http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt351/SimpleTomTractors/DSC03296.jpg[/IMG] I used Rustoleum Professional Safety Blue. It comes in a large 15oz can and it sprays nice and even.

JimDk
Thanks Tom, for validating my memory. My 73yo brain is not completely gone. I could recall the safety blue, but had no clue who used it. I like it much better than my Ford blue. It's real close to OEM. I read on another forum that TSC has discontinued selling Valspar paint and has gone with another cheap brand. It's not well liked by the Ag tractor guys.

OrangeMetalGuy
Damn that thing is beautiful! I like the way you did the footrests and axle; that's the way I did my Allis machines even though it is not exactly original. Is your hydro lever just painted? Looks awful shiny.

SimpleTom
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Damn that thing is beautiful! I like the way you did the footrests and axle; that's the way I did my Allis machines even though it is not exactly original. Is your hydro lever just painted? Looks awful shiny.
The foot rests and axle were originally black on the Homelites. I just restored it back to original. It's just a light polishing on the Hydro lever. It looked to dull next to the fresh paint so I used Mother's Mag wheel polish on it.

hamman
Very nice Simple Tom!! Looks really good. Where did you get your decals done? I really like the tires on it. After reading this post yesterday I went down to the local ACE Hdwr. and piced up a can of Safety Blue. I compared it to the tunnel cover off my T-16H on the underside where it wasn't faded and where I had polished it up. It is very close to the original color Blue. I have another one I am striping down and I am going to blast and prime the same piece of it to see how it compares.