Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

seized axle tube anyone?

humphrey

Anybody ever have an axle tube seize in the bushing? Just picked up a Partially Disassembled B210. Transmission was seperated from the rest of the tractor. Axle tube appears to be stuck in the housing. If I put the transmission in first I can turn it over by hand although stiffly, something is definately dragging. Second, Third and reverse I can't turn the transmission. I can see the main bull gear for the axle tube turning through the drain plug. The axle tube on the other hand is not turning and I can't get it to turn either. The only thing I can think of is the axle tube has frozen up in the axle tube bushings and the key for the axle tube has sheared in the transmission. I'm planning to split the case to see if I can fix the issue, although I'll probally have to torch the bushings out of the case to free it up. Has this or something similiar happened to anybody else. Worst case scenario is I have alot of good parts for my 3012.

Do the internal axle bushings move(the ones the solid axle rotate on in relation to the tube?). If you run a penetrant like PB or Gibbs oil into the transmission/tube bushings(the ones for the outer diameter of the tube) does it help? Since the bushings are bronze(ish) or roller bearing, depending on model production date(I have both), rusting in place is unlikely IMO. If you are taking it apart in either case, just make sure to inspect the keyways on the tube VERY thoroughly for cracks or gouges. The prime failure for the tubes is cracks that emanate from there, it's not pretty if let go. Been there...

I think the axle tube sheared inside the bushing . Crack started at the key way for the bull gear. Hope for you it is something less costly like the keys sheared on the gear to the axle .

Split the case. Axle tube was stuck in the left side axle tube bearing. Needle bearing type. Found some keys in the bottom of the case. Will have to get more into it this weekend when I have more time.