Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clarification on towing

rich_kildow

I'm still getting familiar with this whole new world of Simplicity, so bear with my newbie question: I've read plenty that towing is bad for Sunstrand hydros like the one in my 7116. But, is that towing the tractor as in: "my Simplicity broke down and I need to tow it back to the garage" OR towing things around with my Simplicity. I want to build an attachment onto the rear lift to move trailers around with but will forget that idea if it means frying the rear end.

Wouldn't be much of a tractor if you couldn't pull anything with it!!:) Imagine the fun that competitors would have with that! Anyway, you don't want to tow the tractor for any appreciable distance. Just like towing a car with an automatic transmission with the drive wheels on the ground...will take the transmission out due to lack of lubrication.

I just towed a 5216 400ft up the hill to the shop to part out. I use the hitch from the 46in blade with the blade removed. I place a 5/8" 5 in. long bolt in the pivot hole and threw the draw bar on the rear of the towed tractor. I strapped the steering wheel to the seat to keep it strait,lifted the back tires off the ground with the lift lever and I actually push the tractor where I need to go. I am thinking about the same thing for the back of the tractor with the rear lift bracket so I can tow large frame tractors . I am afraid the lift cable will not hold the weight of the heavy tractor. Looking for a short electric lift to rig to the lift bracket. I would not attempt to do the forward lift and push on large frame either.

Years ago, when I worked at a Simplicity dealer, the rule of thumb was not to tow a hydro tractor with another tractor any faster than you could walk. Or with a Deere. I'm kidding. No, really.

If you are going to push it around remember to push down the two "freewheeling "valves found on top. Easy to see when you lift the seat.

So for further clarification, as this is something I hadn't ever considered but makes sense ... If I want to tow my powermax (since the engine has more hoist-miles than turf-miles, I tend to have to tow it lots), I can simply put it in Neutral and that adequately isolates the tires from the hydraulics? Don't worry. I don't tow it with anything green.

Herb, your Powermax has a mechanical gearbox behind the hydro unit. As long as the gearbox is in neutral, you are fine to tow it as far and as fast as you care to. Same goes for a Sunstar with the 2 speed rear, when it is in neutral the hydro is not connected to the rear wheels. John U

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
You can tow with it,just don't tow it.
How true! Words to live by. The hydro pumps are very expensive when you blow them up from towing them!