Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help me mow

boox

Just finished putting together a 3314H that's been sitting for over 10 years in my collection. Runs like a bear, probably the best job I've done but that's beside the point. Unfortunately this machine was abused some in an earlier incarnation and most of the pulleys and even the idlers were replaced but I am stymied by one pulley. The double one on the PTO that drives the belt for the mower. I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I did put an ad in the parts wanted classifieds that has contact info. thanx, guys

Mark, You said that most of the pulleys have been replaced. I'm just guessing here, but I don't think the 3314 had a double pulley on the pto. Someone may have changed it to match an older deck. I have a 3314 parts tractor and I'm sure it has a single on the pto and the deck. Good luck, Jim

Depends what you mean by double pulley. There is the one that takes the double V belt, looks like 2 v belts attached together, the center edge that would be between the halves is smaller than the outsides and looks "worn out but isnt. If that is what you have, I would change it over to single belt, also if you have this, the pulley on the top of the deck should match it too. The other, older double pulley, the inside pulley is about twice as big as the outside. The outside smaller one is for the sickle mower. If I'm not mistaken, the 3300 series, was the "changeover" series, ie, running board tractor with foot dragger pto I'd have to see if I have a good one, but I should have either style.

Dan, as you state it is the older one with 2 different sizes on it, like the one on a FD tractor, and no it is definitely chunked out...don't plan on using a sickle mower so I guess I could go with a single pulley...never thought it thru. Part number 157680 is the one shown in the parts book, it's a double pulley. Shows as NLA at Jack's and several other internet suppliers. I can get a single pulley at TSC here in town. That may be the best bet, thanx for the help guys.

OK guys, I stand corrected....The pulley which I guessed was original is for a double belt,(you were right again, Dan) now that it's off I could see it much better, what felt like a broken side to the sheave was a smaller ridge, just really rough. This tractor had sat in a field uncovered for at least 10 years before I got it, and 10 years since I've had it it has been sitting, so, long story short, got a smaller belt, fits the groove, doesn't jump out, but since the drive pulley on the mower is bigger, it has almost no power for cutting grass. On mowed grass you can hear the mower pulleys turning, and it has power to throw grass, but in uncut grass it dies right off. Now I don't what the deck is, other than a 42" which had a FDT bail on it, I switched the Bail assembly and now I need a smaller drive pulley, I guess. Also gonna check for slippage somewhere.

When you say, "dies right off", are you talking mower speed or both engine and mower? If it is just the mower and it has been sitting for a while, it's possible that the tension idler shaft under the deck plates is seized to the pulley bracket and needs some TLC.

Also, if you are talking about a smaller drive pulley on the deck itself, that will make it harder to turn the blades; but they will tend to turn faster. But if you mean pto drive pulley, smaller pulley would mean easier turn; but deck blades will run slower, requiring more engine speed. What Bob said...! Idlers really take a beating - metal fatigue can be an issue. If idler is not turning free, that will wear the belt due to friction. Make sure spring tension is happening. Generally, I am amazed these things actually hold together; there's a lot of vibration, and a lot going on constantly. Get it functional; and run with covers on. Is greasing the spindles possible on that deck?

I am not talking about the pulley itself. The post that the pulley bracket swievels on will sieze up at some point in time renderiong the tensioner useless.

quote:
Originally posted by boox
OK guys, I stand corrected....The pulley which I guessed was original is for a double belt,(you were right again, Dan) now that it's off I could see it much better, what felt like a broken side to the sheave was a smaller ridge, just really rough. This tractor had sat in a field uncovered for at least 10 years before I got it, and 10 years since I've had it it has been sitting, so, long story short, got a smaller belt, fits the groove, doesn't jump out, but since the drive pulley on the mower is bigger, it has almost no power for cutting grass. On mowed grass you can hear the mower pulleys turning, and it has power to throw grass, but in uncut grass it dies right off. Now I don't what the deck is, other than a 42" which had a FDT bail on it, I switched the Bail assembly and now I need a smaller drive pulley, I guess. Also gonna check for slippage somewhere.
Do I understand correctly you are running a single belt in that double pulley? A normal V belt drives on its sides, not at the bottom of the pulley or inside of the belt. If you are running a single belt in that double pulley it very likely is your problem. The center portion of that sheave is probably not tall enough to drive a single belt.

Ok guys, hold on...following my post yesterday, here is what I have; 42 inch mower deck, Has 4" pulley (drive pulley) this mower deck was on a LL early model, I changed the bail to use with RB tractor and replaced all three spindles with ones in better shape that had zerks. All three spin freely on the deck prior to belt install. The Idler pulley was replaced with the newer used one from another deck, also free spinning and in good to excellent condition. the Idler arm is on the original shaft, but rotates freely and does have never seize on that shaft. Stock 3314H tractor with 3.5" output pulley to deck The stock Double V pulley that was on the PTO is 3.5". It is, in fact actually in good shape upon closer examination. I have replaced it with a 3.5" single pulley at present. (due to my original thinking re: the stock pulley was broken at the belt sheave) The problem now is that the mower deck speed falls right off as the mower hits uncut grass. Has good speed when running om mowed grass. (WOT) A bigger driven pulley at the PTO or a smaller pulley at the deck seems to be the obvious choice.

Is there enough tension on the belts? I'm thinking if the mower speed slows, but the engine does not, there is slippage somewhere. A quick check I have used, is pull the spark plug so the engine can not start, stick a block of wood in the mower deck so the blades can't turn, engage the deck and crank the engine while looking for the point things are not turning. If the bgb turns but not the pto, the short belt is slipping. (pto handle should be adjustable) If the pto turns but not the deck pulley, the cross drive belt is slipping, either weak or missing spring tensioner or belt is too long. If the top pulley on the deck turns, but not the blades, the deck belt or its tensioner is where to start Also, when you find the slip point, watch the shaft to see if is turning in a pulley. (missing or sheared key) Let us know.