Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 questions

cyclone700

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Kent's advice is worth far more than 2 cents! The only thing i would add is to replace the belt if it is flimsy, especially when warmed up. It won't release from the pulleys correctly when clutching & will cause gear grinding. Bill

I recently bought an AC B-112 and don't know a whole lot about it. Where is the mfr # located? The serial # is pretty obvious but I haven't located the mfr #. Alos, there is evidence that the drive belt has been rubbing on the axle housing. Am I correct in assuming that the belt should be replaced? From what the owner had told me, he hadn't changed belt since he bought in 1972 so figure it's probably time for one. Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I would have thought the MFR # would be on the same tag as the Serial # ... but be aware that Allis-Chalmers also called theirs the Product #. That may be what your tag reads. It should be a 2029900 with manual lift, or 2029901 if it had the factory-installed hydraulic lift. These belts were known to rub the axle -- as long as the belt doesn't slip, and it works OK, I'd leave it alone. The replacement belt costs about $50 ($45-$55, depending on the source) and it takes a while for it to get limber enough to work really well ... meanwhile you have to do frequent belt adjustments, as it loosens up. They're no fun... not tough to do, just tedious and "finicky." If you're not getting very much speed variation between the slowest possible and the fastest possible speed settings, it may be a sign the belt is worn enough to warrant replacement. I souldn't replace it just for rubbing -- brand new ones can do that.... My 2 cents... and worth even less!

Never have found a MFR# on my B112, but then again, the more I learn about it the more I wonder how much of it left the factory at the same time anyway. Did you find the Serial # right in front of the gear shift?, on lower dash???MPH

Thanks for the replies. I've still not found the MFR# ro the Product #. It's definitely not on the ID tag where the serial number is. Is there another place that it might be located? Looking on the cross reference page there are two other numbers besides the ones you mentioned. I ordered manuals assuming it is the 2029900.

My HB212 does not have mfg# either. My serial # is on the lower dash just above the "tunnel". Mike S.