Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler rebuild

darren7116

Hi guys its ben a while since i ben on here. I would like to know ruffly how much it would cost to rebuild my kohler series2 on my 7117? i'm getting some blow by an oil in carb an noticed some fine shavings in oil last time i changed it for the summer.The motor still runs decent i ben cutting grass with it yet but i need to start getting some prices i plan on tearing it down this next winter for a complete rebuild. So if any of u guys got a ruff idea it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Without knowing the extent of your rebuild it is hard to say. If it does not need to be bored out, you can get a gasket and ring set for about 100 bux. If you need to bore and get new over sized pistons they can be very pricey on the KT motors, if you can find them. Then you have the cost of machine work. Valves? Another potential cost for valve work. I usually figure another $50-100 for the misc. stuff. Cleaners, oil, plugs, filters, points (if needed), paint, fuel filter, shutoff, etc. I would first check the crankcase breather. They are know to fail and can cause considerable oil usage and smoking, among other ugly problems. That is a fairly quick and easy fix, and costs about $16 for a new breather. Cheap.

what would be a ruff estimate on the high side if i were to use new pistons rods an have crank turned an head work. Would it range in comparison to maby a re power of a Briggs v twin?

my guess... .$35/cyl to bore, $75 to turn crank, $350+ in parts (2pistons, 2rods +gaskets and seals), + "head work $??, disassemble/assemble yourself

I came up with $600-$1000 when I was looking at fully rebuilding mine. I just saw an NOS KT rod sell for $100 on eBay for just one. There is little or nothing available in aftermarket for the KTs so thats part of what makes them so pricey. One thing to consider with a repower is that you will have to make changes to your wiring harnes and you will need a new muffler.

I just rebuilt a Kohler KT17 series I for about $400, that was for the machining and the gasket set, rods, and pistons. I found a website that just carries Kohler parts and if you order is over $175 the shipping is FREE. I had my parts in 2 to 3 days. I will go back and from there again. The website is opeengines.com, and it is easy to find the parts. I hope this helps you, I know did me being a KT17 fan.

Thank you guys for the help i don't get on here much as id like 2 since i don't have Internet at home. I hope to rebuild the kt17 series2 in the fall or winter.It seems to be cheaper than buying a new motor,i will check out the web site for kohler parts.