Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Tires on a FEL Tractor?........mine Exploded

GLPointon

I just got my AC-410 Loader done. I had a few hydro problems but all is well now. I went out today to do some "loader work" and got a BIG scoop of dirt/mulch mixture and while driving across the lawn the front tire exploded :Owah What front tires do you guys use with your FEL's? Every tractor I have all say 2-ply rating regardless of width or tread pattern on the fronts. Are the narrow or wide better for load?

Wide mower tires carry weight better. Narrow steer better. I'm a bit "different" }:) but I have 5.70 - 8 trailer tires on mine. Only 2 ply, but load range b, 715# load rated each. You can also get a 4.80 8 trailer tire that is 8 ply. Either will a BEAR to mount on a narrow rim, they are very stiff

Greg, I have boat trailer tires on the front of my loader tractor. They are load range E. Not sure what is available in 16x6.50-8 but you might check it out. John U

I bought new Carlisle 16x6.50x8 superlug Ags for the front... I think they are 6ply... not on yet but i figured better safe than sorry... if i have this right... I think the suuperlugs may be unavailable now, but the trupower are

Letting air out will only lead to hard steering IMO. I'm using the standard Goodyears on my loader with normal tire pressure with no problem except that it can be hard to steer with a full bucket!

Air pressure should preserve the shape and performance rating of the tire, according to how it's rated, and how it's loaded. Lower air pressure - well, the extreme of that is driving with flat tires. The heavier load requires higher pressures - and there should be a max pressure rating on the tire. That doesn't mean you run at max pressure. It depends. Seems to me it's about using pressure to offset the tendency of the tire to become distorted under load; a lot of that is about minimizing sidewall flex. and no, I am not the tire expert either. just my 2 cents - value accordingly. This is an interesting view of FEL safety concerns. Carrying the load low to the ground is recommended. It must have been spooky when it exploded. wow. OO Glad you are ok, Greg. sm03 Come to think of it, anything I read on FEL safety didn't even mention blown tires. Surprise.! 8)

Graham it almost reminded of the old re-treaded tires. It blew right at the seam where the tread meets the sidewall. Glad I didnt have the load up high, and your right, saftey rules always say to carry loads as low as possible in transit.

Be safe Greg. I'd go with John and the boat trailer tires. I had a close one today upsetting a cart full of folding tables. It can happen in a second.

VERY...John they were a set I got off an old parts frame that Nathan Gale gave me. I used them because they were wider thar the OEMs on the 410
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Greg, I gotta ask, how old was the tire that blew out? John U