Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belts

andy330

Well my sickle bar is running better now, but after awhile the belt on it will flip over and run till it breaks. Have the correct belt from the manual. Any suggestions on why it would be doing this and how to solve it ? Thanks so much much for all the help. Andy. Hi Dan...

Is the belt for your sickle an isocelese triangle, same dimension on all three sides with the same angle on all three corners?

If it is flipping and it is new, the belt is either not up to snuff or the idlers are not tracking properly. I use a Tractor Supply co brand kevlar on mine and it lasts a pretty long time. My first suspect would be the idlers. The other thing is if your belt flips, make sure to unflip it before it cools or it will take a set. It may take gloves to hold it, but if it sets flipped it will be useless.

Yes, pulleys spin freely and look good. Belt stop ? I do not think it has any ? what do they look like. Just one guard at the drive pulley and exit. Are the green colored garden belts any good ? I think i am close to a $100 in belts now. Thanks.

Green belts should be fine. How is the condition of the driven pulley's bearing on the sickle itself? If it is dragging or sloppy it can put undue stress on the belt, creating more heat and odd effects.

Pulleys spin freely, i grease all the parts that need it. There is only one way the belt can go on that i see, am i wrong ?