Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

belt stop

andy330

Hi, I have no belt stop for the PTO pulley. Is this a must have ? Would this cause my sickle blade to flip ? Thanks for your knowledge ! Andy.

I didn`t see any belt stops in the manual. Page 5 in manual below says to make sure drive belt rides in the grooves of the idler pulleys located within the belt guard. Is the blade or the belt flipping? http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cuI1rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121769

No its not on the sickle bar but on the small belt with two pulleys and a idler pulley before the sickle . Were you engage sickle or mower on left side. On the other of the belt across from idler.

There are supposed to be a half-circle cover type guard/stop on the drive pulley end and a wire/rod that is bolted to the side plate of the trans that only touches when the PTO belt is untensioned or deactivated. Both are pictured in the manual under PTO adjustments. The device itself whether its a mower deck or sickle will not have it's own stops. Those sort of stops did not come along til much later.

You will want the stop and gaurd to properly adjust the PTO for engagement, and disengagement. Otherwise you get the pesky PTO that wants to keep going, and going.....;)

Run yes, stop no, as Mr Green said;) The rod stop can be made fairly easily though. Just get some fairly stiff rod and bend it into a loop that can be bolted, a bolt, and adjust it to fit by bending. The rod/wire does have to be fairly stiff though.

Here are some Simplicity belt stops. I am sure you could make one of them work. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=simplicity+belt+stop&_sacat=159912&_odkw=simplicity&_osacat=159912

Thanks alot guys !! How long do you figure the rod sticks out, i see one on e-bay thats four inches. I can cut it off if to long.

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
There are supposed to be a half-circle cover type guard/stop on the drive pulley end and a wire/rod that is bolted to the side plate of the trans that only touches when the PTO belt is untensioned or deactivated. Both are pictured in the manual under PTO adjustments.
There's a third guard/stop underneath the bottom PTO pulley. It's just another piece of rod. You can see it in the manual.