Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery case repair

larry8200

Hey, I managed to rub a hole in the bottom corner of a brand new Exide 51R about 2 months ago. I cleaned it up real well and roughed iit with some 36 grit and patched it with JB, got some more electrolyte, and I thought that was going to do it. It started leaking yesterday and the JB peeled off like the peel off a bannana. Anyone try silicone, or know of a product for repairing battery cases? I'm thinking of trying RTV formagasket. Thanks

I used seal all on a plastic gas tank and it worked great. Not sure how it holds up to battery acid, but I would give it a try. It seems to me I have also heard of a product to repair battery cases, but can't remember anything about it, maybe try googling it? Steve

Larry there is a product in a tube (usta be handled by Walmart) called "GOOP", and it seems to be very robust (try and get it off stuffXX(). While there they sell another product called "Battery cleaner and acid detector", spray it on and it will turn pink if there is any acid. I usually follow this with a baking soda and water rinse. Be sure to clean the support shelf under the gas tank! Dont forget the frame area under the shelves. Steering, hydro-lift pump, drive shaft, etc. Good luck! Wayne

I think most battery cases are polypropylene and can be repaired with plastic welders, adding rods for material if needed. Wear old clothes, wash well and use baking soda for the acid. What works for plastic gas cans would probably work too. Often the glue/patch people will tell you if their product will work for specific materials.

I agree with Ray. Also have a plastic welder at the shop but would not consider a battery. If you can stop the leak I would bet it's reliability has been compromised. I can't blame you for trying at $110 new. At least you have a core.

quote:
Originally posted by CDeHeer
I agree with Ray. Also have a plastic welder at the shop but would not consider a battery. If you can stop the leak I would bet it's reliability has been compromised. I can't blame you for trying at $110 new. At least you have a core.
Epoxy was my best bet and that failed. I'm not optimistic. If the electrolyte has been maintained why do you think it has been compromsed? If it wasn';t right on the corner I might try welding a patch. Still might.

My old National Guard unit had a battery shop for rebuilding Ni/Cad air craft batteries. I'll check with them and see what they used for sealer. Knowing uncle Sugar they probably paid $400. for something you can get at your local parts house.

Seal Alls website says good for automotive battery cables and terminals. I think I'll send them a not oe call.

HI, We used to buy a battery repair stick, It was light brown and about 1/4 by 1/2 inch by about 8 inches. The were about 3.00 each. I haven't bought one in years. You took a Bernzomatic torch and melted it and just smeared it on the battery. It work great. The problem is I can't remember where I bought it. I just googled battery case repair and I see Graingers lists something, along with a lot of other places. Al Eden

I agree with Peter/others about using a plastic welder, but you need to verify the exact type of plastic and use that type of stick. Polyproplyne sounds right, but maybe on the case it has the triangle symbol on it with the number indicating the plastic (recycling) type? Tom(PK)