Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

huffy

Tractors and rifles

huffy
There's a lot of pesky coyotes on my property. They bother the baby rabbits and turkeys, and are otherwise just an all around nuisance. I see them a lot when I'm out riding my tractor on the back side of my property early in the morning or late in the evening. Most times they're out of pistol range (well, my kind of pistol range, anyway). I'm toying with the idea of attaching some kind of scabbord to my tractor to hold either my Mini 14 or AR. Was just curious if some of you have done something similar and, if so, what you came up with.

huffy
I'm not real keen on having traps and snares lying about. I really don't want to risk something other than the coyotes getting into them. I don't think I want to go so far as to have a tripod mounted on the hood of the tractor. I'm basically just looking for ideas for something to hold the rifle while I'm driving around - preferably something that doesn't require me to put holes, etc, in the tractor; is removeable; and keeps the gun out of the way when I'm not using it but somewhere that it can easily be got to when the need arises.

msiebern
Check out some of the offerings for the 4 wheel ATV market. It will either give you some ideas or with a slight modification, you could mount one of them on your tractor. If you ever get over near Gaylord or Clare, you might check out what they have at Jay's.

Talntedmrgreen
I really like where this is going Chris. :D We hunt them down here, but they are difficult to call in and get a shot at. The only time I really see them is when on the golf cart or tractor. Up at deer camp they are everywhere, but I never have had one within bow range.

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by humphrey
What do you define as pistol range?
Let's just say that my prowess with a pistol isn't great, so I won't shoot at them unless they're pretty darn close for fear of just wounding them.

DaveTenney
Chris...We use these things on the four wheelers when we are deer hunting. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400264&pdesc=Mad_Dog_ATV_Double_Fin_Grip_Pro_Rack&aID=507A4&merchID=4006 I'm sure you could fabricate some sort of holder for these that would attach to the hitch. Dave