Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine advice

huffy

The 10 hp motor in the tractor I'm going to mount my 515 loader on has issues. I'm debating whether I want to fix it, or upgrade to a 16 hp. I noticed this 16 hp on CL. It's not too far from me. Problem is, I'm not too up on engine values. Anyone know if this is a fair price for this one? I'm guessing from what he says in the add that he doesn't know whether it runs, so I'm going to assume that it doesn't right now. http://nmi.craigslist.org/grd/3118441474.html

If it is a brand new engine. That is how I read it. The last time these were available they were over $1600 dollars. I drove to West Virgina for a NOS 6 years ago that I paid $500.00 for. At $300.00 it is a steal. I sell used ones for that price. Maintained properly these will last 30 plus years. To me brand new replacement means it is a NOS engine. I would check it out.

I'd look that engine over very well before I believed it was brand new. Even if it was short blocked and they used all the rusty old outer tin and parts, 1) look closely at the head, it appears to have a blown head gasket, seepage on the left side in the 3rd pic. 2) Also oil residue around the base of the dipstick tube same pic 3)2nd pic, the paint does not appear deteriorated around the base of the cylinder, it looks burnt off to me 4) bearing plate appears to have a bolt missing or broken in the block 5) all the excess bolt holes look like they are full of mud or debris 6) crank appears to have had a pulley on it at some point, shiny or worn in the middle, 2nd pic none of this should happen on an engine that has not been used... a lot Just my humble opinions, not worth much

From the pics it did not look to me to be a truly "brand new" engine. So I assumed what he meant was that it was "brand new" to him, meaning that he'd bought it to replace another engine in a tractor or something but never got around to it. We'll see. If he calls me back I'll get clarification and maybe run out and take a look at it.

There doesn't appear to be any battery charging wires poking out anywhere and the oil pan appears to be yellow like it was short blocked. Might not hurt to find out what its previous life was.

DOES NOT LOOK NEW TO ME may have been rebuilt but not cleaned on the out side. seems fair to me for a 16 hp that runs good

Chris if your 10hp is bad then I would upgrade for sure. My 410/Loader seems to have enough power for now but I'm sure I will go bigger as soon as I find a 16hp Kohler. sm01

I think you're right, Greg. If I've got to work on an engine I may as well go ahead and upgrade. We'll see what happens. So far it sure doesn't seem like this guy understands how to make a sale. I e-mailed and asked him if he still had it, and whether he knows if it runs, and asked him to call me. I got a terse response saying he still has it and that he's started it once a year. No telephone #, no offer to arrange a time for me to look at it - noting. I responded with an offer, and asking him again to please call me. I got another terse response. How in the[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]this guy expects to sell something if he won't pick up the phone to call an interested potential buyer to set up a meeting is utterly baffling to me.

After sending yet another e-mail this morning asking this guy to call me to arrange a time for me to look at the engine, I just received another warm response. Sheesh, this guy's not only a terrible salesman, but an utter bunghole. I guess I'm just gonna have to look elsewhere. It's too bad. There's 2 really nice looking 16's on eBay right now for about the same price as this guy was asking. Much better looking engines, too. But, alas, one's in PA and one's in VA and both say they will not ship. If anyone's close to either of these, or doesn't mind a long drive, it might be worth your while to check them out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-16-hp-engine-Allis-Chalmers-Simplicity-/180921436384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fc208e0 http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-HP-Briggs-and-Stratton-I-C-/261033056408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6c85898

I've run into those kinds of sellers. They are just there to torture us. There was a guy in Alton, IL that kept advertising a Big Ten with Hi-Lo. I would email asking for a phone number or for him to call me or reply with a way to meet and he would never respond. Despite this he kept re-posting the ad:(!