Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member with a question!

Tubajock

I have a Broadmoor 717. according to this link: http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/New_in_1968/broadmoor.htm it has a controlled traction diff. how do i test it to make sure it still functions?

Hi, and welcome to the club! I would think if you jacked up the rear of the tractor so both wheels are off the ground you could tell by turning the wheels. The other way would be to hook up to something heavy enough to make it spin and see what it does. I don't own one of these, but my understanding is that there are bolts with springs that can be tightened to make it work better if it isn't working now. I am sure others with more experience will give more detail for you. Again, welcome to the club! Steve

thank ya'll for the warm welcome!! i'll do some testing today and give an update. I would like a copy of that manual if its not to much trouble.

Mowed a field (with lots of pot holes) and a ditch with it just now. the traction control doesn't work worth flip! I did receive the manual PDF i'm looking in it now.

You should have 2 bolts on your rt. hub,they are supposed to be tightened to 25 ft pounds. There the ones that get in the way if you pull the rt wheel off.:D I just crank mine down tight and never had any trouble with them. Welcome to the club.

Ty - The nsmall frame Broadmoor tractors do not have any adjustment or anything for this "controlled traction". I have owned more than a dozen of these tractors over the years, and know them pretty well. I was very surprised to see the old literature making a claim about some special "controlled traction" thing, because they do not have any. If one wheel breaks loose and spins, the other does not. It is just like a regular open differential in a car. So dont worry about if it is working or not because you will never see it working like a true limited-slip or other true "controlled traction" differential. Just appreciate it as a light weight, highly maneuverable lawn traactor that cuts grass very well. Tom in Milwaukee

I know nothing about that model dz....But welcome to the club Any other problems, Just ask...and pics always help too sm01

thank you Tom! i figured as much looking at the exploded parts diagrams. it is interesting that the website would say such a thing!