Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pto

305SS

I need some help with my pto on my landlord. It is a 990496. Well it is 40+ years old that being said, people take things apart and do not always put them back the way they took them apart.I noticed that a bracket was missing, part# 157423 and item W in the owners manual. I did not scan a picture in because i`m worried it will be to grainy. It is called a stop in the description. I called my local dealer and NLA, so i need to make one. What would be great if some has one off there tractor and they were able to give me dimension. Because it looks like a simple L bracket. Or is there something the picture doesn't show. I have took the pto apart and well there's a lot of were on it. Most of holes are egged out. So i will be doing a lot of welding and grinding. Thanks for any help.

Maybe before you go full out to repair, put an ad in the parts wanted section. Someone is always parting something out, or ended up with a spare in a parts pile.

I agree with Greg 100%. Before you do all that fab work also check E-Bay. There are a few full time "Butchers" on there that have every part possible. Search "Simplicity parts" and get comfy...maybe 100 pgs.sm00
quote:
Originally posted by GregB
Maybe before you go full out to repair, put an ad in the parts wanted section. Someone is always parting something out, or ended up with a spare in a parts pile.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
He was one of the Vashon brothers. I think Mad Dog was the other.
Brett, you might be showing your age with that comment. :D Lots of the "youngsters" here and probably a few of the older folks won't have a clue ;) Unfortunately, I know exactly what your talking about:I:I

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I even tried googling Vashon brothers, and came up with nothing. How old and forgotten does something have to be to not even show up on google? ;)

Sorry Chris, old pro wrestlers lol http://www.google.com/search?q=mad+dog+vashon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

By the way - and getting back to the point of this thread - I did not see a stop listed on eBay. I'll try and measure mine for you tonight, if I can get the tape measure down in there without having to take the whole PTO back off the tractor (I just put it on last week). I'd say, though, that the long leg's probably around 2" long, and the short leg's maybe 3/8" long. I'm not sure that exact measurements are all that important. The short leg just has to be long enough to catch on the rod when you disengage the PTO to keep the idler pulley from "flopping" all the way back over. And I don't think the length of the long leg has to be any exact measurement; it effectively adjusts based on where along the idler pulley's axis you tighten it down.

so you kids wouldn't know about killer kowalski, dick the bruiser, leapin larry shane.... or even zorro :D o they remade that.crk8

Brian: Here's a pic of the stop:

It was hard to get dead on balls accurate measurements with it down in that hole. But, the long leg is about 2 1/4" from the very tip up to the top of the bend. The short leg is 3/8" from the tip to the top of the bend. The hole is approximately 5/8" from the tip.

Let us not forget Kenny Jay. That poor son of a buck would show up every week just to get clobbered to a pulp. I do not believe, in all of the years he wrastled, that I ever saw him win. Ever. Not once. The token underdog, always a bridesmaid never a bride, the venerable and dependable, but sadly incapable, Kenny Jay.

Bobo Brazil, Gorgeous George, and yes, Butcher Vashon. I caught Butcher Vashon out of character at a county fair many years ago. He was playing Bingo..