Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" mower deck maximum height adjustment

allicatguy

I have a 1968 Allis Chalmers HB112 fitted with a similar vintage Simplicity Mfrs No. 575 42" left-hand discharge rotary mower. The combination works GREAT for cutting the prolific (translated "very tall")grass at my cabin. Problem is the terrain is rocky and the blades usually take a beating. I've reviewed the manual that came with the mower deck but the adjustment section says nothing about a maximum allowable cutting height. Is there one? Seems to me that adjusting the front rocker arms too high will cause them to interfere with the frame when the front axle pivots...thereby possibly damaging something. Any of you more knowledgeable fellows have any words of wisdom on this?

Oops! Forget to mention that I chain the rear of the mower deck to the frame to maximize rear clearance...thus the possible interference at the front of the mower deck

Welcome to the club! 3-1/8" total height if the roller bar and rollers are in excellent condition. This is the way they are set from factory. If you are not getting that, either the rollers need replaced or the roller bar.

The front "rocker arms" are not used to adjust mower height. They level the mower blades. Turn the Two rear "T" screws as far as you can. That will be your max height. Useing your lift arm to set height will ruin your belt.Just my opionion.