Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gear

yukon

does anyone know how to get this gear off ive loosened the set screw and pryed with a 5 foor crow bar also tried to take off the chain and theres no snap link 8C

If I remember right, the small sprocket can be slid toward the big sprocket enough to get the chain off. As far as removing the gear, soak it with pb blaster every day for a few days, then try driving the sprocket on farther to break it loose from the shaft. Then the sprocket should be able to be removed. Some heat on the hub of the sprocket will also help, but try not to use too much, it may hurt the bearing behind the sprocket. Good luck! Steve

Take the set screw complety out, and spray in p-b blaster. Let soak a few days. I use heat as a last resort because of the brg. My one cent worth.

Its a 4 step plan with me: 1) remove setscrew & soak with PB in the hole and all over 2) use a 3-jaw Gear Puller and crank on some tension 3) apply heat to the gear hub with a Mapp Gas torch or Oxy/Atctln. if poss. 4) Pray...that it "pops" loose before you destroy the gear Good Luck dOd

Sometimes when those tactics fail, I have had some success with using a wedge or pickel fork from behind. Don't go crazy with the wedge, just use enough to immobilize. Then hit the shaft sharply to try to drive the shaft out of the gear. Sometimes the vice versa can work to loosen the gear before using a puller. Hit the gear hub not the shaft(with a large socket as the punch). It will drive the gear a little farther on but it allows more corrosion popping force prior to pulling to save the teeth portion of the gear. I use that one on pulleys a lot.

Did you get chain off? sometimes the snap link is facing the back. Or you can use a chain breaker or grind off link so you can put a master link in. The chain should be off before removing sprocket. As for sprocket, do remove set screw entirely, also check so that there is not a second one below the first. if possible remove key from shaft. sometimes you can tap sprocket in farther, to remove key and to clean up shaft so sprocket can come off

I took mine apart last winter and still need to finish the restoration before winter comes.... I needed a 3 jaw puller AND the oxy-acetylene red/yellow hot hub before it finally came off.....