Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PowerMax questions

Tarheel

I have a Powermax 4040 I'm working on for someone and I have a few questions. I did a search and found some answers and more or less just wish to clarify. One problem is the starter wiring. Owner reports that for years he had to "wiggle" the wires under the dash to get it to start. It is beyond that now and no amount of "wiggling" makes a difference. I took a jumper wire from the battery + to the white wire at the front of the engine and I get a little spark but no click of a solenoid. So while I know there are problems with the switches/wiring, I have my doubts about the starter as well. Question 1, Can anyone tell me if the starter/solenoid has to have an outside ground and if so where it is broken by a safety switch etc ? Question 2, Where is the neutral safety switch located and how do you access it ? Question 3. Owner said the brakes are useless. With the steep ground he has to mow, this could be a real danger if the engine dies. He said the hydro would hold for a few seconds and then let go with a bang and here he goes. I read where D-17 Dave said the seals would leak and the disks would get oily etc and I plan to tear it down to inspect. Question 4. Has anyone ever tried to have the brakes relined ? Possibly with a material having better grip ? ( I have only seen the picture in the parts breakdown, As yet I have no concept of how the things operate) Question 5. Having never worked on these before, is the block/sump threaded for the engine to frame mounting bolts or do you have to get a wrench in there to hold nuts ? Question 6. Replacement engines ? Sorry, I know that is a lot of questions. Thanks for any help

Terry, These pictures will answer a lot of your questions. [url]http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g409/1944corp/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24[/url] I have added comments below John U
quote:
Originally posted by Tarheel
I have a Powermax 4040 I'm working on for someone and I have a few questions. I did a search and found some answers and more or less just wish to clarify. One problem is the starter wiring. Owner reports that for years he had to "wiggle" the wires under the dash to get it to start. It is beyond that now and no amount of "wiggling" makes a difference. I took a jumper wire from the battery + to the white wire at the front of the engine and I get a little spark but no click of a solenoid. So while I know there are problems with the switches/wiring, I have my doubts about the starter as well. Question 1, Can anyone tell me if the starter/solenoid has to have an outside ground and if so where it is broken by a safety switch etc ? The solenoid is grounded to the engine block, the safety switch is on the plus side of the solenoid. Question 2, Where is the neutral safety switch located and how do you access it ? It is under the cover below the seat, actuated by the hydro linkage Question 3. Owner said the brakes are useless. With the steep ground he has to mow, this could be a real danger if the engine dies. He said the hydro would hold for a few seconds and then let go with a bang and here he goes. I read where D-17 Dave said the seals would leak and the disks would get oily etc and I plan to tear it down to inspect. we can almost guarantee the brake disks have trans oil on them Question 4. Has anyone ever tried to have the brakes relined ? Possibly with a material having better grip ? ( I have only seen the picture in the parts breakdown, As yet I have no concept of how the things operate) There are two friction disks with lining on both sides. They are on either side of a mechanical actuator which uses balls and a ramp to expand between the disks when the brakes are actuated Question 5. Having never worked on these before, is the block/sump threaded for the engine to frame mounting bolts or do you have to get a wrench in there to hold nuts ?The holes are tapped, but some go through into the sump. Question 6. Replacement engines ? Honda Briggs there are several kits available Sorry, I know that is a lot of questions. Thanks for any help