Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2-Gang Reel Set - Need Hitch Dimensions

Talntedmrgreen

Curious if anyone has the 2-gang reel mower setup (990123), and could get me a few dimensions? I have the reels, which are in wonderful condition, but do not have the hitch arrangement. I'd like to fab something up, so I can show the equipment, and would like it to be as close to OEM looking as possible. Thank you!! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1959/wb_gang_reel_pg10.jpg[/img]

Josh: From the pics in the Simplicity section, it looks like the gang mowers always had the same distance between the tires regardless of whether it was a 2, 3, or 5 gang configuration. You've got a 5 gang set up, so just measure to find the distance between the tires. Set your 2 gang mowers up with that distance between the tires, and measure center to center of the attachment points. Then you'll know how long the bends in the piece of round bar connector need to be, center to center. Looks pretty simple.

Well, I have 2 issues that prevent me from that method. First, my 3-gang set doesn't have the OEM hitch either, and in fact, I'm going to modify that one a bit to add spacing between the 2 trailing reels. They are so close, they want to bind up on sharp turns. Second, this 2-gang set is completely different form the 3-gang. These reels are much smaller than my others, and were spaced to work in unison with the belly mounted reel on the Wonderboy. I'll whip something up, but was kinda hoping to get it close to original looking. It's not a deal breaker, but I figured somebody has to have a reference.

Well, in that case, here's another idea. Fab something up. Take the tractor and show it. When the judge tells you he's deducting points because your set up's not to OEM specs, tell him you want a copy of the OEM specs. Then you'll have your measurements. :D

Haha...I aint interested in anything 'judged' ^ I just like what I like ;) I haven't been to many, but I don't know if I've ever been to a show where there were judges wandering around.

I've never been to a tractor show, but I figured it was like some of the car shows I've been to where they have judges that go over the cars to see how technically accurate the resto is. Oh well, my bad.

Just a thought, Josh, but if nobody on here has one you might be able to figure it out by using the pic and one of your reels. Perhaps you can measure the length of one of you reels, then measure how long the reel is in the pic. Then use some fancy-pants math to figure out the scale. You'd have to be better than me with a ruler and calculator, but I'm sure it could be done.

If this was to be used with the belly mounted reel on the Wonderboy, then they should be set narrow enough to overlap the Wonderboy reel just a little bit.Most reel mowers overlap a little to get good coverage.Bill

quote:
Originally posted by gomez1
If this was to be used with the belly mounted reel on the Wonderboy, then they should be set narrow enough to overlap the Wonderboy reel just a little bit.Most reel mowers overlap a little to get good coverage.Bill
Set the reels to achieve the 59" swath, then measure the width of the reel and find each reel's center. Then measure the distance from center to center.