Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HYDRO LIFT issue

simple-kid

Is the hydro lift lever supposed to be stuck up at the top like that? Is that a problem? How can I fix it? Any Info would help. Thanks

It seems the lever needs to be stationary in the "hold" position. Questions; 1. Does the shift lever move? 2. Is the spring attached on the back side? 3. Can you use the drill test to see if the hydrolift actually functions?

IT moves but it keeps shooting back to the top like that. Where is the spring on the backside. Ill try the drill test. Thanks

Moving is good. Mine has a spring on the backside of the lever that keeps tension on the movable rod. I read somewhere if you take off the pulley on the the lift and take a cordless drill you can spin the pump and see if the lever moves the rear lift up and down. Not sure why yours wants it's home position to be so high.

id start by cleaning all the crud off and seeing if that has something weird to do with it...maybe there is crud not letting something move correctly...just a quick cheap thing to look at...also did you check the fluid?

I believe it just needs to be adjusted. Loosening a couple bolts and sliding the lever assembly up or down changes it's orientation relative to the arced plate; i.e., makes it come to rest at center or either side of center. Read the manual in the "operation" section, as it explains how to adjust it.

It looks like one of the retainer clips have broken, or the spool shaft has broken. I have the same problem...the cast housing has broke out the retainer ring groove and so spring returns the lever when I push forward but not when I pull back. I have attached an external spring to pull the lever back to the hold position.

Here's the link to the instructions for how to adjust it. I've got a strong hunch that's your only problem. And even if it's not, that's the best place to start trouble shooting. http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/hydraulics/page_4.htm

the drill test works. put the drill in reverse. i put a wire brush on the end of the drill for a contact point. helps if you have a second person with you to operate lever. string or wire works too

• 2 weeks later...
Well I haven't got started on it yet because know my truck needs a rocker panel. :(!:(!:(! I will soon, I think one of the valves are stuck on it.

John, you can use a drill to test a hydro pump or any other pump for that matter that spins easy enough. If the pump is out of the tractor, you can remove the pulley and chuck the shaft right in the drill. If the pump is still in the tractor you can use a large wire brush in the drill to put against the pulley and spin it. You can even put a longer belt on and use the drill chuck as sort of a drive pulley to spin the belt. Whichever method, you may have to use forward or reverse on the drill to get the proper direction of rotation.