Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kenmill1958

AC 919 FROZEN BGB???

kenmill1958
I bought this tractor as a parts machine a few years back . No Motor. Machine sat like this for quite sometime. Decided to put it together. Bought a good running Kohler Magnum 18hp. Installed it and will hardly turn over. BGB seems frozen. Input shaft will make approx 1/2 turn then stop. Anybody ever had this problem?? Is it possible to drain it and soak with a penetrant?? I have a 7016 parts machine is the BGB and trans the same?? Thanks Ken

PhanDad
Never saw a "frozen" BGB; many with stripped gears, blown seals, etc, but the the input shaft would always turn. Sounds like something is messed up with the gears; an internal inspection is definitely required. As to the compatibility of the back end of a 7016 tractor to the 919 (assuming hydro to hydro or gear to gear) you should be OK unless the 919 has a hydraulic lift. Then you'd have to change the hydro charge pump check valves out and install the hydraulic line fittings from the 919 to the 7016. If it were me, I'd just swap the BGB's - after checking the 7016 box. I'd also replace the bearings and seals while it's out rather than just swap it as-is. I'm pretty sure there aren't any cross shaft issues between the two boxes since they both tractors have cone clutches. Others can confirm. Good luck with the repairs and let us know what was "freezing" the BGB.

MysTiK
Just a thought - maybe engine alignment causing conflict with drive shaft. I think there's a quick fix for this involving loosening motor mount, turn it over a few times, retighten mounting bolts. Let's it align itself. just a thought. sm01

Ronald Hribar
many years ago, I changed motors in a 55 Ford. About the same thing happened . Found that i used wrong bolts in flywheel . They were to long. I would take everything off the input and output shafts on the BGB. You will have to anyway to replace BGB and you may find problem is not in box

kenmill1958
THANKS!!! Looks like I got lucky. I tried rotating the output shaft again with no problem. Rotate the input shaft and wala engine started and it works great . A little noisy but seems ok. This one has been a nightmare. I had bought an engine last year that I never heard run. I condemnded it after the same senario. Second time around I knew something was wrong. All seems good now . Thanks Again!!

rm
i just had the same problem frozen bgb. i found the belts were frozen to the pulleys. took them off the tractor spun like butter. :) also if the tractor sits out side with out the set pan the bgb fills with water through the vent hole.