Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
brockway

still shooting fire

brockway
Hey guys I put new rings in a 23d and when I ran it today it was blowing fire! I know I had seen a topic about valves getting off on size but I can not find it. I think the exhaust valve is not closing so fuel is going out and catching on fire. Any thoughts?

brockway
Bob the flame is about a foot. It scared the day lights out of me glad I rolled it out of the garage before I started it up. I ran it down the down the street and back about a city block and when I let it just run in the yard is when it started to shoot fire like a flame thrower. It acted like it was loaded up and that's when she started.

powerking_one
When you took the engine apart to replace the rings, did you remove the crank and/or the cam? If so, you may have the gears out of time by a tooth or two. Tom(PK)

HubbardRA
You need to check the valve lash. There is no adjustment on the B/S. The way you add lash is to put a flat file between the end of the valve and the follower and file them just two or three strokes. Make sure the valve is closed and not being lifted any at all. Check and repeat till you get sufficient lash. By the way, insufficient lash makes the engine run lean, not rich.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by powerking_one
What does this mean: >Do you have a power problem?< Tom (PK)
If he has plenty of power, he doesn't have a cronic valve problem. I also forgot to ask if the muffler is insatlled or running a straight pipe.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by brockway
It has no real power loss and I have a muffler on it. How would I check if the timing is off? The only thing I can notice is it feels like it is loading up.
If power is not a problem, I doubt if you have a timing issue, besides engine has to really come a part to check that out. Now you say it feels like engine is loading up. Have you turned in high speed jet to correct the loading "up" as you put it?

brockway
It idles for a while than when it warms up she don't idle. I wish I could have got this one right I am going to be at a show till saturday night. I will try again when I get back and hope to get it straightened out before the Buckley show.