Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Small car battery recommendations for 716H

OrangeMetalGuy

I want to get a new battery in the 716H, and I'd like to use a small car battery since feedback I've read says they last longer than typical garden tractor batteries. So does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

I go to my local Battery Warehouse and buy the correct 22nf battery. But I seem to remember a 51 series battery is close also. SOme one else will probably chime in to correct me.

I believe that a 716H is the same as the Sovereign. If so, then both of the above posts are correct. The 22NF is the absolutely correct battery and has the tab on the bottom for the clamp on the battery tray to hold on to and hold the battery in place. The 51R battery is just a little bigger but still fits and has a higher CCA rating, but no tab for the clamp. ALso, I can't remember if you need a straight 51 or the 51R. Only difference is that the positive and negative termainals are reversed. One fits better than the other with respect to cable length and such..just make sure to match what you have already as far as location of the terminals.

Scott, I have two tractors of that series, one with a 51 and one with a 51R. 51R is the correct one, but since I have replaced the cables on the one tractor, the 51 will work. These tractors are my 716H and 713S that I am talking about. I use the 51 series because it has more CCA and is also cheaper than the 22NF. I like cranking power, but am also a cheapskate.

Safety Warning...If using the 51R be sure rig a way to retain the battery. You never think that you will ever tip your tractor over, but it does happen. You put the tractor on it's side, the battery that is not retain will slide out and the + post will short out on any available metal right next to the gas tank that is also spilling out gas. I had this happen with my young kids...so thankful it that no one got hurt and the gas did not ignite while the battery was sparking away. The tractor tipped on its left side so the gas was running away from the battery.

...not to mention the battery acid from such. Hold-downs at the very least via strap bolts and wedges is important since we do like driving rather quickly over bumpy areas. Don't need the terminals going bounce into the hood.