Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fiber Disk Coupling Assembly

johnmonkey

I just replaced my "old style" coupling assembly the one w/2 metal discs sandwiching a piece of rubber with a fiber disc coupling assembly.I have a 1962 725. Does anyone have a picture of the new style that they could post on the web? I got my tractor running with the new style, but I'm not sure that I assembled it correctly. Sandy Lake faxed me a drawing but it was hard to decipher.The coupling assembly goes between the motor and the drive shaft. It is the same as a "big ten" according to the drawing.Thank you John.

Hi John, As I remember on the older tractors there were 4 spacers [2 on each bolt] that went between the washers on the front side of the disc and the engine. In some tractors there was a pulley for the hyd lift and it replaced 1 set of the spacers. The driveshaft should have a washer then the disc then another washer, then the bolt head. The washers have a rounded face and a face with a sharp edge. The washers should always be installed with the rounded face against the fiberglass. If the sharp edge is against the fiberglass it will cause it to fail prematurly and you will have 2 fiber glass washers. Your 725 may not use the 2 spacers and the long bolts into the engine. Good luck, Al