Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 712S transmission issue

ac-fan

Hi all, I have a circa 1978 Allis Chalmers 712S (Simplicity 7014) tractor. The tractor has been running great, especially after we figured out how to tune up the shuttle transmission. I was using it the other day and something got out of alignment, tho. I'm seeking some help on where to start diagnosing. The tractor all of a sudden has stronger forward pull but no reverse. When I shift the clutch control level down into reverse while in gear the tractor goes forward instead or backwards. If I leave it in gear but put the control lever in neutral, it will move forward. When the gear shifter is in neutral and the clutch control lever is in neutral the tractor stays still. So I suspect something is either too loose or too tight, but a pointer on where to look would be appreciated. Let me know! Thx.

My first guess is the brake band linkage has disconnected, or the band is not stopping the differential (needs adjustment).

• 3 weeks later...
get the manual from onlinemanuals.com i think is the website. you can download it for free. it will give you all the adjustments for the shuttle. made my life alot less stressful.

or you can get manuals from "Simplicity website" click on Manuals. Requires MFR number. for 700-series Manual, MFR 1690211 will work - - altho that's actually a 716 MFR; but all 700's are covered in same manual. - it's an AC manual btw. and covers shuttle, 6speed, hydro. - recommended. Maybe you already have the manual??