Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC712H

Gear shift Transmissions

rokon2813
quote:
Originally posted by Homesteader
Thats all I use. All my garden tractors have gear transmissions.
I have 1 shuttle and 1 hydro but the rest are gear and I prefer them too

steve-wis
I had a two hydros and sold them both. Yeah, I am old, but I just prefer the gear shift. I have four tractors, and Allis 810GT, an Allis B206E, and two 616's, one of which has a three speed tranny from a broadmoor. I also have two wonderboy rear engine riders, they are gear shift also. I liked the hydro's when I had them, just wasn't fond of the rest of the tractor. I like the fact that I can tear down any of my tranny's and fix them. The 616's are 1965 vintage, the wonderboys a 1959 and a 1964. They all still work fine. Doubt if a hydro would last that long. JMHO Steve

GLPointon
I have 2 Shuttle, 1 Hydro, and 6 Gear trannys. They're all good and all have their pros & cons. Choose based on how your gonna use it. But I think if you want a bullet proof/tough/no trouble transmission then its the 3 speed all the way...

AC712H
I have always favored the hydro, however after buying a couple gear shifts I think I like them better. Depends on the application I guess. The gear shifts are more fun to drive and I think better for tillage and snow blower work.

Talntedmrgreen
I've always loved my gears, but for certain work, like pushing snow or mowing, the lack of shifting, infinite speed control and ease of direction changes provided by a hydro is tough to beat. I do like the consistency of my gears when mowing something without a lot of obstacles, or tilling (with HiLo or 6-speed). They pull a plow hard, and won't quit until the belt burns up or the tractor digs itself into the ground ^ and they do allow a certain degree of foot control vs hand control.

RickS
Josh, You need to try a Legacy. It has a foot controlled hydro, right foot; and a hydro lift for the implement on your left foot. This leaves your hands free to steer and replenish your thirst. :D Rick..........

huffy
I've got 2 fdt's with 3 speeds, and like them. But, I've got another GT that's a hydro and I have to admit that I vastly prefer it for most chores. Being able to control you speed, and switch from forward to reverse, just by rocking your foot is so much easier. And, there's no need to swap out pulleys and belts, or buy expensive hi-lo's, to be able to do certain chores.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by AC712H
I am not experienced with garden tractor racing, but do people use gear shift over hydros?
I've been told so, but am not intimately familiar with how those guys operate. I would think the more direct drive a gear machine would be prefered. I always heard the early hydro's could soak up as much as 2hp...not sure how much stock I'd put in that either, though.
quote:
Originally posted by RickS
Josh, You need to try a Legacy. It has a foot controlled hydro, right foot; and a hydro lift for the implement on your left foot. This leaves your hands free to steer and replenish your thirst. :D Rick..........
Now you're just teasing! I don't know if I could coordinate all that hand and foot action. With a straw in my beer, I might just be able to pull that off }:)