Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to safely remove a mid PTO pulley from BGB?

jsarro

Jack, I'm glad you made it through relatively unscathed. There was plenty of help to be had and you asked and received, which is one great aspect of this sight. Another great aspect of this sight is the wealth of information that can be had with a little searching through the tech publications, tips, tricks etc. I my self have contributed much over the years, both on the chat forums, tech pubs, tips, tricks etc. and through YouTube. I just became aware of this post and at the risk of ridicule, I don't believe that any good information should ever leave this sight, even if the individual helping out either leaves of their own accord or is asked to leave or is thrown out. The bottom line is the information is/was valuable and should have never been subjected to "filtering out" along with the member. We all love our machines, and this is why SimpleTractors exists. Not because of mistakes made, but lessons learned through the mistakes. Shared mistakes and learned lessons are why we continue to evolve. With out them, each hurdle would be a challenge every time, instead of once for one person, thanks to their contribution to help prevent the next person from jumping through the same (sometimes painful) hurdle. I trust this will be yet another lesson for us all. It's not about the single person here. It's about what that single person contributed that very well could have saved considerable time and effort. I'm neither defending nor supporting any comments made. This is just my view. If history wasn't recorded, we would make the same mistakes over and over. So maybe Nixon messed up......It won't happen again, thanks to History being deemed valuable. I have my mark in the history of ST that is engrained in the minds of many as being valuable. When it's a question that's been answered, all that is necessary to do is point to that time in history. I would be hard pressed to repeat history due to a personal conflict gone awry. Which, I think all who remember will agree, was the driving force in "cleaning house." Just speaking my opinion. Unbiased and honest. Wrong or right. What's done is done and history obviously will need repeated for some time before we're caught back up. Jack, Back to your questions. Lets hope there isn't a next time. But if there is, do a search on youtube for whatever the problem is. There is a VERY good chance that what you need answers to can be found here and on youtube. One good way to remove a pulley today may not be the way to remove it tomorrow as each set of circumstances are different. Cast Iron pulleys are a different beast than stamped steel and stamped steel are different than pot metal pulleys. Each set of circumstances will require a different method of safe removal. One general rule of thumb, which I saw mentioned and that I have advised many others of is......Get the pulley to move. Typically it's best to drive the pulley further onto the shaft before trying to take it off. Why?....It's easier to remove something that isn't stuck. Even 1/16" of movement in the wrong direction is a move in the right direction. Then.....if you follow rule one, there are different methods for the different compositions. Most will come off much easier after following rule number one. I use pipes of varying diameter to drive pulleys deeper onto a shaft so that the impact is delivered across the whole diameter of the pulley face. The inside diameter of the pipe needs only to be slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft the pulley is on. i.e. 7/8" shaft, 1" diameter pipe etc. I hope you find this information useful and can reference back to this post should you need a refresher course on pulley removal. Cheers!! Zip

Zippo, Contrary to what Biggie_Rat said, his posts have been retained... See some results of searching of the archives for topics/replies of his related to "pulley" ... for example: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=60245&SearchTerms=pulley,pulley http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=84333&SearchTerms=pulley,pulley Not trying to take this thread totally off-topic, but posts here are typically not deleted, even if someone's membership is... A few posts have been deleted, but their content was either total flaming attacks, obscene or something -- regardless of who the poster was... All you have to do is spend some time in the archives and you'll see a lot of posts by user "N/A" meaning the member's active record has been deleted, though their posts and contributions have not... Just wanted to point out the FACTS...

Jack, Understood loud and clear. I also cry when watching good movies. 8) 8D :D Crying scares people. wah sometimes. It's a great release; and very healthy. Zip, I tend to agree. I am also happy to say that. Kent, Thanx for clarification. Right on. Wow - what an experiential thread. whew!! sm03

The main thing is that you GOT IT...Good job, I feel bad how much trouble you had with it. THATS why I'm a big-time believer in using "anti-seize" on everything. sm01
quote:
Originally posted by jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Have you tried heat on the pulley hub? Good luck...that can be VERY frustrating...If you throw a wrench, watch out for the tractor(s) sm01
Thanks Greg. After moving the pulley backwards in a attempt to break it free the day before. I chewed up the little shaft space I had behind the pulleys. Therefore I could not monitor to tell if the heat sink was working. I was afraid to go to far with this.

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
Jack: Tools are kind of like tractors. No matter how many you have, it seems you're constantly discovering that you could use one more to perform a particular task.
Thank you Huffy, I will be getting a puller and strap wrench.

quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Jack, I'm glad you made it through relatively unscathed. There was plenty of help to be had and you asked and received, which is one great aspect of this sight. I hope you find this information useful and can reference back to this post should you need a refresher course on pulley removal. Cheers!! Zip
Thank you Zippo, I have been a fan of your videos since before I bought my first Simplicity a few months back. I especially love your video explaining why we need so many different tractors. You have them all lined up showing each one with it's implement. Great stuff! I have not gone through them all yet, but I enjoy your shop videos as well. I think they will make a lot more sense to me now after being able to study my own tractors. Thank you for your feedback on the repairs and what to do in the future. I appreciate and respect all the experience you have with these tractors, and your willingness to share that with others through this site and YouTube. Gald to finally connect with you. Talk to you later! :D

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
The main thing is that you GOT IT...Good job, I feel bad how much trouble you had with it. THATS why I'm a big-time believer in using "anti-seize" on everything.
Greg, Is there more specifics on the "anti-seize" product and your procedure? I know I will be taking apart some more tractors in the near future. One I have is very rusty on the pulleys. Anything to make it easier would be a big help!

• 2 weeks later...
Jack, You're more than welcome and I'm glad my videos help. That's the whole purpose for making them. As for my subdued rant earlier, I apologize for the thread drift. Lots more behind the scenes than is seen up front with us older farts who have been members for years. I hope your future ventures go somewhat smoother. Cheers! Zip

Thanks Zippo, I understand. Again, your videos are of great benefit. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Your extra effort to make them is commendable. dOd This site has been around a long time before I came here and in any club like this there may be a HX between people. I stay out of matters I know nothing about! sm01 I'm sure i'll be in touch with you with future questions. I'm working on gaining the knowledge to help all this go smoother in the future. OO Thanks Have a great day!

Before you put the pulley back on, polish the shaft with emery cloth, not steel wool. The emery cloth will remove burrs, wool won't. Also, invest in anti-seize compound, and apply to the shaft, all around the shaft under the new pulley area, before sliding the pulley on the shaft. You'll thank yourself for this investment when next you work on the pulleys. Use anti-seize on all bolts that you think you might want to remove again, as well. Been there, done that, and have the dead pulleys and parts of them to prove it

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
Before you put the pulley back on, polish the shaft with emery cloth, not steel wool. The emery cloth will remove burrs, wool won't. Also, invest in anti-seize compound, and apply to the shaft, all around the shaft under the new pulley area, before sliding the pulley on the shaft. You'll thank yourself for this investment when next you work on the pulleys. Use anti-seize on all bolts that you think you might want to remove again, as well. Been there, done that, and have the dead pulleys and parts of them to prove it
Joe, Great info, that is exactly the kind of insight I need to hear. Went out and bought the emory cloth already. I need to pick up some anti-seeze. I'm assuming Autozone or NAPA will have it. Thanks for potentially saving me a future difficulty.