Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Sunstar manual steering parts question

SmilinSam

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/Sunstar/DSCN0522.jpg[/img]
See the two bolts & spacers attached to the big steering gear in the center of the picture? What are they for?.. and can I remove them? They get slightly into one of my hydraulic hoses and if they are not needed it would be easier to remove them rather than move the hose. If they are stops, maybe I could shorten them up a little Its mainly the nuts that are contacting.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Sam, Your best bet would be to put power steering on the Sunstar!!! John U
Well John, it does have power steering. Its using the Char-Lynn power steering from a Landlord DLX in conjunction with the Sunstars manual steering gears. those lines and hoses are above the ones in the picture. The hoses in the picture are from the dual hydralic cylinder setup in the tractor. One cylinder and lever for the mid lift and one lever and cylinder for the 3 point hitch on the back. I found these spacers to function as stops, so I flipped the bolts so the longer end with the nuts are now on top, and I used some slightly shorter spacers. Seems to have fixed the problem.