Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone tried Por-15 under a mower deck ?

Tarheel

I brought up the idea of Rhino Liner for the undersides of mower decks back years ago but never heard anyone say they tried it or how it worked out. Ray's post about metal coating started me thinking about such once again and about Por-15. I have an idea that the bed liner would hold up to the blasting that goes on under a deck better than about anything else. Anyway, I'd think that someone out there has tried one or the other method. Lets hear how it worked out for you.

I've seen people do the interior of their jeeps in rhino liner and it works well until it gets chipped and then rust gets underneath and it starts flaking... POR-15 doesn't put up with abrasion, chipping, moisture, dryness, sunlight, or even sideways glances when you think it's not looking at you..

I just sand and repaint mine every 2-3 years. Seems to work for me. Every thick coating that I have tried tends to flake off or get pockets behind it that holds moisture and causes rust through. Haven't found anything better than a good 2 or 3 coats of paint. Nothing expensive, just cheap dollar store paint. You want thin coats to protect the metal, not thick coats that will flake or peel off. If you really need a thick coating, I have used plastic roof cement(tar) on several decks in the past. It is pretty tenacious stuff and never fully dries. It definitely helps with abrasion if you are in an area where you mow a lot of sand and dirt. It still needs replacing every 2 to 3 years, because it will abrade away.

HerbP, I can't guess what apps you have seen with Por-15, How it was applied etc. But I can tell you this. I asked a man about it who was using it on the frames of restorations. The next day he brought in a plastic cap off a spray paint can. The inner circle had been sprayed with silicon and then a layer of Por-15. With a scratch he peeled the Por-15 from the plastic and handed me the little disk. It was about the same thickness of the plastic of a lawn trash bag. Now tear it in two he says...... I could not believe the effort it took ! And that was old school Por-15 ! The following is from the Por-15 web site - (New School?) "When fully cured, HARDNOSETM Paints are rock-hard, chemical resistant, non-porous, and incredibly tough. Durable and easily cleaned, they will not crack, chip, peel, or fade with age. HARDNOSETM Paints will withstand even the most intensive UV environments. " http://www.por15.com/HARDNOSE-PAINT/productinfo/HNGB/ Now I don't have a dog in this fight. I have never used Por-15 and most likely never will. My only direct contact with it is as stated above. I simply can't afford $66.00 a quart. But if I could, I have a few tractors I'd love to see coated in it.

I did a 48"'er several years ago with silver POR-15. Best stuff I could recommend. Grass doesn't stick, and there's no wear on the POR-15... not a single chip.

I am running a 48" new deck now that I coated with POR 15 over the original AC Orange coating on the deck. Did scuff it so it would stick. I also coated the entire frame and bottom of my 67 Chevelle back in 2004 that I have driven just over 50K miles and the only POR 15 missing is the cross member under the engine that I did not remove all the oil residue ( I tried ) before I coated the frame. It still looks good now. By the way, this Chevelle has been driven to Seattle,Wa. , Ohio, Maryland, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tenn, Kansas and some states multiple times. I will check the deck out at the end of the grass season this year to see how it held up. Cutting 3 acres every week, sometimes 2 times a week, I mean my sweet wife cuts the grass!!!

I've done a lot of truck stuff in POR-15 because it was all the rage on the internets... A lot of my fellow truck club members also bought into it... Within a year, it was pretty much universally loathed.. No matter how perfectly you follow the prep instructions, even on freshly sandblasted steel, within a year, the POR-15 was flaking or wearing thin and the rust was starting to take over... I've seen a lot of reports that POR-15 works well in warm dry places in the states, but up here in Canada or even friends up in Alaska, it just doesn't work. So, if you live in Arizona, then knock yourself out... We've all switched to Zero-rust... It's a lot cheaper, holds up better, and doesn't require near the prep.. As long as you topcoat it with something, it works well on UV exposed areas as well as undersides. I don't have a vested interest in steering people away from POR-15... I just don't like to see other people waste their money.

I used car undercoating for the inside of the tractor frame. I like it because it stays clean and is easy to wash out the oil and other grime. I would recommend.

I've used the POR-15 product for a couple motorcycle gas tanks and was very impressed. If I were to buy a product to undercoat my decks, I would certainly try their Hardnose line.

"P-O-R" in POR-15 stands for "paint on rust". If you put the stuff on rust, it adheres really well and does all the miracles it claims to (but note it's not UV stable). However, if you put it on really clean steel, as it seems the general goal/application is here, it tends to peel off. And that's after religiously following the directions with the prep products/process. Ken DA917H Bel Air, MD

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Pesonally I haven't seen anything better then mowing dried leaves to nothing in the fall to keep the deck clean.
I agree with Bob.

linex is lifetime product if it flakes just take it in they will cover it for FREE.... no issues on my deck yet other than it added a good bit of weight to it

Had one zinc coated today so we will see how that holds up. The metal is sprayed on at 3800 degrees so it should adhere well to the base metal. Should hold up longer than a brushed on application.

Put it on the new deck for the prestige and coated one Sovereign. Will tell this Fall when we clean everything and put it away for the Winter.

It seems like the Rhino-liner would be rough and impeade the grass flow across & out the chute??? even a little bit can cause a build-up? clogging? IMO sm01