Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Why NOT to clean the crud off your tranny

huffy
Before I started my 2012 makeover one of the axle seals leaked a tiny bit, but nothing major. Since I pressure washed the tranny both seals leak like a sieve. So I've ordered new seals (which are no back order) and will have to replace them when they arrive. Last Saturday I bought a B10 from Josh (TalntedMrGreen) to mount my loader on. It sat in my garage until Tuesday with no leaks. I figured from my 2012 experience that the pressure washer was too much for 45+ year old axle seals, so I skipped the pressure washer this time and just used some degreaser and a toothbrush (boy did I regret that one the next morning). I went out to the garage yesterday and, dagnabbit, there was a small puddle of oil under the tractor. A quick inspection revealed that, sure enough, it's leaking at the right axle seal. I'm thinking part of the issue is that the 1/2" or so of caked on grease and other crud was actually helping by stopping up little cracks, etc, in the seals. Oh well, I guess now I'll have to put another set of axle seals on back order. In the future, if I get a tractor and the axle seals aren't leaking I'm not gonna even try to clean the crud off the tranny. Just gonna leave it alone.

bowhunt4life
I second that Chris! My B10 that now holds the loader has a nice layer of crud and I thought for a brief second to pressure wash it but no way. I'm not gonna open any wounds for oil to leak out of. -Chris

Sign in to follow this