Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Really ?? Really ??

rokon2813

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/3144759969.html 1960's Simplicity SunStar Hydro 18hp Lawn Tractor / Riding Mower - $1100 They don't make them like this anymore. All Hydrostatic 18hp industrial /commercial Briggs and Stratton 52" cut with front and rear PTOs. Way too much for my little half acre lawn. New blades, new belts, new points, new starter and a cleaned carb. 1100 / obo. Please email with your phone number.

He says "OBO" I would offer $300 cash, FIRM. Except I might end up owning it. Have to be carefull about that. I see it has hydraulic lift, so yup. I'd go $300 SO, With that Briggs it must be a early 80's Sovereign 7116H with 48" deck, BUT that would have had Magnetron ignition? Says he cleaned the points.... Guess I'll take back that $300 offer!

I wasn't interested enough to research all the details, but my thoughts were; I can see the points cover (I think) in front of the carb and he says he replaced the points, that makes it a cast iron briggs, so the largest it could be is 16 hp, biggest they made in cast iron or possibly 14hp. Was there a 7014? 7016? 7114? 7116? Of those models, when did they go to gear starter over s/g ? Did any of those not have the vented hood? What about the exhaust out the right side of the frame rather than the left side of the hood? Will that help narrow it down? Front PTO,? Were any of those models offered with electric front clutch? There is no handle for a manual clutch. He says front and rear pto. There is no rear lift, so as far as I'm concerned, no rear pto either. Though it probably has the pulley on the cone clutch for a rear attachment. He is only 15 to 20 years off on that part. Sunstar ...NOT And since they didn't make a 52" left discharge deck for anything.... It's not even a lawn tractor / riding mower, it's a Garden Tractor So he got 2 things right. 1) it is a Simplicity (or repowered Allis.. didn't the Allis's all come with Kohlers or not?) 2) they don't build them like this anymore :D:D:D Just my thought process. LOL

Some people just don't know or think we are bunch of idiots about these tractors .I saw one recently advertised as a late model sove. but was a 3314 done up like a 2000 model sovereign

My '83 7119H (Kohler 19HP KT 19S Series II) has the vented hood, and right side frame exhaust. Rear hitch same as his which runs my tiller, shredder, etc. (same as his) See: http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/ford%27s_7119h.htm Regards, Ford

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
I wasn't interested enough to research all the details, but my thoughts were; I can see the points cover (I think) in front of the carb and he says he replaced the points, that makes it a cast iron briggs, so the largest it could be is 16 hp, biggest they made in cast iron or possibly 14hp. Was there a 7014? 7016? 7114? 7116? Of those models, when did they go to gear starter over s/g ? Did any of those not have the vented hood? What about the exhaust out the right side of the frame rather than the left side of the hood? Will that help narrow it down? Front PTO,? Were any of those models offered with electric front clutch? There is no handle for a manual clutch. He says front and rear pto. There is no rear lift, so as far as I'm concerned, no rear pto either. Though it probably has the pulley on the cone clutch for a rear attachment. He is only 15 to 20 years off on that part. Sunstar ...NOT And since they didn't make a 52" left discharge deck for anything.... It's not even a lawn tractor / riding mower, it's a Garden Tractor So he got 2 things right. 1) it is a Simplicity (or repowered Allis.. didn't the Allis's all come with Kohlers or not?) 2) they don't build them like this anymore :D:D:D Just my thought process. LOL
I believe you are correct on all of your thoughts. I agree that Allis never had the Briggs engines in the 900 series and even throughout most(I know there are a few) of the 700 series. Also in looking the the pics on the add closer I can clearly see a external coil mounted on the starter side of the engine so definitely a points cover. It's gotta be a 7114 or 7116 because the 7100 series had the exhaust coming out the right side of the frame and the 7000 series had the exhaust coming out of the left side of the hood and also would not have factory Hydro lift. I believe all of the 7100 series had the vented hood and have never seen a 7000 series with a vented hood. I'd say $300 would be a decent buy in my area if it runs and drives as it should, can't take away from that value just because the owner doesn't correctly state what it is, either because he is trying to hustle someone or just doesn't have a clue himself. Dan

Assuming the tractor is a good running tractor, fully functional, andd in good shape, it is worth afairly good buck. If you are a purist and don't like the paint scheme that can certainly detract. But IF, other than paint, it is a good clean unit, I would think a strong running 7100 series with hydro lift is worth a good $6-700 without batting an eye. That being said, to misrepresent something to the level he has deserves a healthy financial penalty, Hence maybe $300 is about right. IMHO

I have a 7012 with a gear starter/Kohler and a 7116 with gear starter/Briggs. I dont think the 7000 had the hydro-lift only the electric lift and didnt exhaust out the right side frame (at least on my 5). I think thats a 7100 series (longer frame/hood, exhaust, vented hood, hydro-lift) with a repower if its a Briggs I/C engine which can explain the electric clutch too. I didnt realize that a seat cover and some orange paint can triple the price of a "riding mower" (Garden Tractor) He even got the wrong decade Regardless......that guy is a &:):p:drl:Qsm00dz (sorry, I didnt mean to judge)