Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pto lever

andy330

Ok, I replaced my pto belt went on fine and adjusted the top belt guard , fine. Went to try it out and the pto lever does not even go half way that it used to and is real stiff. Idler pulley not working correctly ? (Back and forth on belt.) I did not even touch any of this part of the machine. Read the manual but i am lost..... Any suggestions ...... Thanks again for your help....!

My parts tractor (716) has a stuck "engaged" pto lever. Not critical since it's the parts traxtor; but I was kinda hoping for some clues from this thread. It almost seems like it's jamming on the top left edge of the bgb. My main tractor (716) seems like the movement goes slightly above the bgb. I don't know much about these. Just making some observations. Maybe I should look for springs in mine also. Have you been able to resolve your issue yet?

The link below should be very simular to what you have. Are you missing any of the parts? http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8aqLZrE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

With a new belt, you need to adjust the length of rod 9 in the above parts break-down. Do that by loosening set screw 11 in collar 10. Move the collar toward the operating handle to adjust for the new belt.

It'll hit the head of the bolt holding the idler pulley if the angle isn't just right. It took me forever to get mine adjusted correctly.

That bolt from the idler arm is right in the way and either hits on one side or the other.. i ajust and the handle gets hard to move up and down. Also, should the idler pulley line up up with the bottom pulley or middle of belt ? Thanks....

Andy: Do you have any pics? It might help the guys here to figure out what adjustments you need to make if they can see what you're dealing with.

Andy - you can post pix here easily, if you have a photobucket account - upload pix, then use the "IMG" link that pbucket provides - it's easy. But you will have to resize pix, before upload to pbucket anyway, to approx 100KB, or resize to 640x480 or maybe 512x384 (etc) - the resize is so it will fit on the page here.:O Big (10+ megapixel) cameras take pix that are about 3 feet wide in real life, which means we need 3-foot wide monitors. :D or do a lot of scrolling. Pix resizers are free downloads all over the internet. Also it's best to work on a copy of the original pix, in a separate folder, in case it gets messed up, so you can retry.

I finally got it !!!! The rod was hitting the idler pulley bolt. When i loosened the spring collar up and pulled it all the way back towards front of tractor it freed it up....Then adjusted it, but very little. I also greased up the parts. Very dry there and found a few more grease fittings i did not know about. Thank you all so much for your help !!!! I cant say enough good about this site and its people !

That's the pix we really wanted to see/hear. :D Dunno if you have a manual via free download; but all the grease points, lube points, oil intervals, etc. are all in manual. Just need to have you MFR number to get it. and there are easy ways to get that too. Stick around - there's lots more here. sm01