Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chains or Snow Hogs

rlschoemer

What is best for not destroying a macadam driveway when snow plowing? Chains or Snow Hogs? Using a Yeoman 627 with Front Plow. Already have chains and rear wheel weights. Live in ''active adult'' community so only have to do the first 2 to 4 inches. But still working so have to do driveway to get out to go to work in morning. Otherwise usually just wait for the crew to come and clear the ways and drives. Your Comments are appreciated.

Since you already have chains, give them a try this coming winter. If you use a little care to not spin your wheels, you will not tear up the driveway surface. Tom

If you get a set of AG type bar tread tires and add some weight to the rear, then you will not need chains. I have never used chains with AG tires, but I have needed chains with every set of turf tires that I have ever had.

A lot will depend on the grade you are working on. If the driveway is flat then weights and Ag's will work. If you have hills then weights and Ag's will have a harder time. But if you add enough weight, then you won't have a problem. At least until you overload the tractor. For my driveway I use Ag's, weights, and chains. But then again the driveway has hills and for the most part is shaded. So I end up with a build up of packed snow. Not ice, but hard packed snow which requires the use of chains. Without the chains I could not climb the hills. (Note I have not tried adding more weights to see if I could skip the chains.) Rick........

Yes for snowblowing Ags are fine because your not really "pushing" any weight. But if your gonna be Plowing/pushing alot of snow then weights/chains are better. But to protect a more fragile driveway then Ags are more gentle. Tires spinning with weights/chains can dig into macadam. (been-there-done-that) I would first try your chains but dont Spin?? Good Luck sm01 This is one of those "Ford vs Chevy" topics with no right or wrong...

"First"??? not the way I've heard it... My fav. trucks are the kind that "Start when I turn the key" the rest is all B.D. "bison droppings" :D
quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
First On Race Day vs: Cheap Hollow Empty Vortek? Yes. Absolutely, no right or wrong. :D:D

Back to the original line in this thread, I run 23-8:50-12 Turf tires, wheel weights, and counter weight on my 716 with the plow. Have mostly hills and slopes. But I also run rubber strap "chains" Local guy was making them. There is usually a guy on fleabay who has them listed. Not cheap, but do not scratch up the driveway. But as far as the truck, my choice see below :D [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122126[/url]