Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery Replacements

jsarro

How do I find the appropriate specs for battery replacements on these old tractors? I looked up the batteries on Jack's SE. They are listed as NLA with no specs on my tractors. I looked through my manuals, but no specs listed. Where is the best places to buy locally? Thanks

Jack: There's a thread on batteries in the Show & Tell forum right now, with links to other threads on the subject. Good info in there.

The thread was moved to this forum (Talking Tractors); it's here: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122143

I just use the cheap Walmart batts. I tried the ultra cheeeep "200's) and they just suck bad. But I have had no trouble with the "300's"; and I give them a full battery recharge on a 10amp trickle charger w a meter, etc. every Spring, and again late Fall. Keeping a battery charged up will prevent "sulfation". A sulfated battery can be restored (maybe) if you give it the charger treatment for several days - did a car battery (dead, dead, dead) for a week one time, and it came back, to my amazement. I googled 'sulfation' to learn about that idea - not an easy search for good info. But the 22's and 51's are higher quality batteries, w more CCA's. cold cranking amps. I would have more problems if I did not have a charger. Also, any time I start, I try to run it for at least a couple minutes to restore charge w the tractor's charging system. I don't quick start and shut down just to move the tractor around in my garage, etc. etc. If all is working right, charge is quickly restored, after startup. But I think Bob is right - as usual. sm01

I have been using this battery in all my tractors including the Powermax's with good success. They can be found for under $30 on sale and with coupons. [url]http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12-volt-small-engine-lawn-and-garden-tractor-maintenance-free-battery-autocraft-lawn-&-garden_2050013-p?searchTerm=battery+375#fragment-2[/url] John U

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
I just use the cheap Walmart batts.
Graham what do the Walmart batteries run you?

quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
I have been using this battery in all my tractors including the Powermax's with good success. They can be found for under $30 on sale and with coupons. [url]http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12-volt-small-engine-lawn-and-garden-tractor-maintenance-free-battery-autocraft-lawn-&-garden_2050013-p?searchTerm=battery+375#fragment-2[/url] John U
John thanks for the link. I found a store close by, but saw the free shipping on the online orders over $75.00. Plus coupon codes. Do you buy in store or online?

I get 4-5 years out of the Advance Auto batteries. Sometimes they run a discount if you buy on-line and pick up at a store. I do not think they ship their batteries. John U

OK thanks, right on John! We got a new hydraulic pump ordered for my AC 620. We should be installing in 2 weeks, then bringing it home.

quote:
Originally posted by jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
I just use the cheap Walmart batts.
Graham what do the Walmart batteries run you?
That info would not help you, Jack - my Walmart is here in Canada - and Canadians are supposed to stupidly pay some 30% more for everything, since the precious economy is more important than life itself. I think the 200 was 30ish and the 300 was 45ish. You would do better to call your local USA flavour (or flavor) of Walmart since you guys simply get better deals on everything. The 22's and 51's are more like 100+ probably, I really don't know. Call Wally's Auto Dept. and ask them for accurate info. Sorry can't help directly. WallyWorld's return policy is in play with batteries also; but it's time limited, I believe. But customer satisfaction prevails. I think they sell the better batteries also. Also TSC has similar batts in the 'cheap' series - but they name them bronze, silver, and gold-series. Again, those prices here, are out of wack with US prices. TSC also has the 22's and 51's. I have had my 300-series for 2 years, no problems; but like I said, I use my charger, and have that down to an artform with at least annual chargings. I recommend having a charger - and you can get those cheaper also. Mine has a meter - charging RATE always starts at 8-10 amps, quickly stabilizes at about 5 amps, and in an hour or so settles in to about 1 amp trickle. As it approaches zero, it's charged and ready to go. The anti-sulfation trick - I let it sit on about 1 amp for days - but that's for "killed" battery. Hope that helps a bit. Canadian prices are the main reason that "cross-border" shopping is HOT. That, and Americans are the greatest marketers in the world. Your people know how to make a deal.