Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign 3012

nobuck8

Hello, I m a new member to your fine site. I have a problem with a Simplicity a just picked up. The tractor runs great for an 1hr cutting grass. Then starts to sputter under load and eventually dies and won't start? I changed the filter and spark pug. I thought I read where someone on this sight had a similar problem? Can anyone help me out? 72 IH Travelall 68 154 Cub Lo-boy 82 JacobsenHomelite LTX8 72 BSA Scrambler

When it dies check for spark at plug, (plug out, resting on head), obviously if it has spark then you have a fuel issue. Could be as simple as a fuel cap that's plugged up and not venting or it could be crud getting sucked into the fuel line or screen if it still has one! As mentioned could be a mag coil too!

I had that problem and it was a plugged tank screen (at bottom of tank OEM). Just remove the screen altogether and add inline filter. Also, instead of using the points and coil, just replace with stens megafire points replacer. They are less than 10 bucks and work great (have them in two tractors), never get wet/dirty points etc.

Welcome, Like most have said,,,, Check for a fuel delivery issue first. If that's ok, then I would pull the engine and shroud and see it there is a critter house in there. Then replace the coil. You can go oem and use the Megafire, or Magnetron and send the flywheel to Briggs and have it repolarized for the cost of shipping.

I think he's got it!! I've had 2 tractors do this same thing, I determined it would start to faulter after it got Hot...Both had mouse nests clogging part of the cooling fins on the engine. Cleaned out and never did it again...Good luck sm01
quote:
Originally posted by rpickle
Mouse nest around the coil. Coil overheats, no spark.

quote:
Mouse nest around the coil. Coil overheats, no spark.
See what I always forget when thinking about someone else's issue is that I would have already checked the coil area before putting a new to me tractor into service because every tractor I've ever purchased had had a mouse house there!:Osm00sm02

Ok, I will go over all the suggestions, and let you know what I find? This might not be the forum to ask, but can anyone point me in the direction of belt covers and discharge chute for the 42" deck? "sm01Things in the past where made to last"

quote:
Originally posted by nobuck8
Ok, I will go over all the suggestions, and let you know what I find? This might not be the forum to ask, but can anyone point me in the direction of belt covers and discharge chute for the 42" deck? "sm01Things in the past where made to last"
I sent you a PM ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Well,I spent more time with my 3012 since purchased. Turns out it was water in the tank from gas gauge being cracked. also the points had build up. Going to trade them in for the electronic version. I needed the belt covers and the chute for a 42". I got them from Dan, and found out it was a 48"!!B) It was advertised as a 42" and I never questioned it. So back to the drawing board, hope you can help again Dan?