Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Air Hammer for Pulley Removal

jsarro

I went back and read the linked referenced archived posts from page 2 of my pulley removal thread from last week. These are the links Kent added to the thread. I saw Ray S said in one of the threads a air hammer made it super easy to remove pulleys. How is the air hammer used in this fashion? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+use+a+air+hammer&oq=how+to+use+a+air+hammer&gs_l=youtube.12..0.24101.42956.0.46144.31.17.4.10.10.0.90.1247.17.17.0...0.0...1ac.iwwtw-ZkW8E

Ray I looked at the you tube videos and they were more just general application of a air hammer. Nothing was specific to the pulley application. I am wondering how you have specifically applied the air hammer to removing a pulley, and can it be done without destroying the pulley? A more detailed explanation would be appreciated. Thanks

I place the air hammer on the hub of the pulley and pull the trigger. Pretty easy process. I also remove the set screw and fill it with PB Blaster. Just depends on how much room you have available to use the air hammer.

OK so you apply the force to the front outer side of the hub and effectively drive it backwards further on the shaft , but in effect it breaks free and then will come off? Does it always work? What percentage of the time does it work, cause I am going to go buy a air hammer for future use. This sounds like a good thing, the fast shock jarring it loose.

midnightpumpkin
Jack, Get yourself some ear protection when you buy that air hammer. Ask me how I know? Huh? John U

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
This one shows a pulley being removed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXte5Fzwv4
Thanks, that was a great video! Any concerns about damaging a shaft or the BGB, seeing as there is not bolt in the end of the shaft like the video?

Ray if you get a chance could you watch the video PhanDad posted. This looks to be a different method than the way you described that has been effective for you using the air hammer.

Here is another guy doing what appears to be a similar method to the prior video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCayr9ufwEw