Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7112H

CDwallace

Good morning everyone. I have my 7112 up and running (sort of!), but I can't seem to get the deck leveled. It is level front to back, but side to side is not. It is maybe 1" lower on the left side of the tractor. Any ideas on how to level it? I used the instructions in the manual to level it as much as I could, and that worked for front to back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Craig

Is this measurement taken with the deck on the ground, on a flat smooth surface, or when it is lifted up in the air? It's not unusual for the deck to hang lower on the left side when it is raised, because the lift cable/chain attaches to the deck off center on the right side of the deck. So, it lifts the right side before it starts lifting the left side of the deck...

That is with it lifted off the ground with the cable. I want to use this mower up at my cabin, so the grass is usually pretty high when I get there. Is it all right to mow with it up in the air? I thought that was the only cutting height adjustment for the deck. Thanks Craig

OrangeMetalGuy
No, I wouldn't recommend trying to mow with the deck lifted. It's not designed for that, and could throw the belt. Best thing is to download a copy of the deck manual and ensure it's adjusted up as high as it can be. Also, check the roller bar in the back; often they are so worn that the deck loses some height that way.

Should be height adjustors on the rollers - handles, left side, right side - manual rotation of handles. Mine were a little stiff, spray lube helped. But you won't get much more than 3" at max height; which is where I run for regular mows. Replacing rollers, as mentioned, might yield more height if originals are worn. Some folks use 'boat trailer rollers' which might be cheaper, and larger diameter to increase height another 1/2" or like that. Another member extended the height adjustor bar an inch. Not sure what these mods do to the belt/pulley angle. Have a look at the belt angle on the center deck pulley, and watch how/if it changes when you raise the deck with the lift lever. I sometimes mow my forest trails, and have mowed at low rpm with the deck slightly raised, just to avoid obstacles - clang, clunk, kaboom, dontcha know. You can probably cheat like this - for short term- but might wear the belt on the pulley edge. Might not be too serious. If your cottage grass is not really awfully tall, you'll find the deck is a real blaster for churning out the clippings. Some folks remove the chute rock guard for extreme long grass. And replace later.

Although not the best use of the deck, and likely tougher on the drive belt than normal, cutting in the raised position is not the end of the world. I can recall on the farm, using the deck in that manner many, many times in order to pre-cut tall grass. I do not recall Dad having to run out and buy new belts all of the time, or any other adverse effects from that. I would also assume, that although not engineered specifically for that purpose, it certainly had been taken into consideration when designed. I think there would have been issues with decks eating and throwing belts left and right, and a huge warning / disclaimer in the owner's manual and on the deck or tractor itself if running the deck in the raised position would create major problems or damage. JMHO, but bring a spare belt just in case. 8D

For those who think its okay to mow with the deck raised, or think it is not in print anywhere. Here is a copy of just one operators manual for the mower decks. Page 13, half way down the right column is the paragraph on Cutting Height. It specifically states: To prevent early belt failures, never operate the mower unless the lift lever is completely lowered. Never use the lift lever for height adjustments http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8bxM6rE5Cvh5kbp796Dq It might be okay, and you might get away with it, but I bet there is a reason they say Never :D:D They also say you shouldn't mow without the discharge guard and deflector, but we all know about those. :O:O

Staying on the "street legal" side, You can mow some crazy tall grass with these tractors/decks; but the performance and results will dictate "Go Slow". Pretty much a common sense item. The grass will "stack up" like any hayfield. 8) You can mow it the following day again to help break down the excess clippings - or even do a 2nd mow only a few hours later, when most of the moisture content has evaporated. It's not going to give you the famous Simplicity cut results - well, it will anyway, but you might not see that due to the stacking effect. In otherwords, it could be a temporary mess; but the 2nd mow will help break down the excess "hay". You can rip through some 8 inches easily enough. If it's 3 feet tall - ummmm, that's what sickle mowers are made for. If it's a foot tall, the odds are greatly improved. No rocket science - just play it by ear - and gitter done. Walking the area to clear lost frisbeez, fishing rods, badminton rackets, rocks, and garden hoses is a good idea usually. :D Note that this is a very good reason to spend more time at the cottage. dOd It will use more gas also; so truck some of that in too. IMPORTANT - while mowing, check the blower screen at lower rear of engine - the excessive clippings will probably interfere with cooling air flow. Some of that will fall off if you stop the engine; but give it a quick wipe with the engine off. Cooling air is your friend.