Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112 transmission?

PaulK

Was mowing the grass Friday when suddenly lost power. Engine was running, but nothing going to wheels or PTO. Shut down, moved rear lever to disengage, and pushed her into the garage. Rear lever will now not re-engage. Reading other threads makes me wonder if the problem is the driveshaft or the bgb. The shaft seems totally encased in the body of the tractor. What is the best way to get at it to check it? Then, how do you tell when the bgb is the culprit?

Remove spark plug so engine turns more freely. Lift up the seat to observe BGB. Turn engine over with the key and see if BGB is turning. If so check belt to hydro to see if it is also turning. Also at time's you have to rock tractor back and forth to re-engage hydro and you have to be a bit aggressive to make it move. Then install spark plug, check oil level in hydro reservoir to make sure that's up to snuff and start engine and observe for the same things. Then report back.

Thanks for the suggestions. Just back from a week's vacation - time to cut the grass again. Battery seems to have died, so will check BGB after a charge-up. To re-engage hydro, I've been lifting the back end of tractor about a eight inches with a 2x4, and letting it drop. Is forward and back better?

I would rock it back and forth while trying to engage lever. I wouldn`t be dropping the tractor. May cause damage to the axle tube and you definitely don`t want to be replacing that.

With spark plug out. Don't be rocking tractor and playing with the hydro lever while engine is running. sm00 unless you are in the seat. - don't ask how I learned that. (hint) I suddenly was surprised to discover I was playing with an 800-pound yo-yo. OO - imagine that 8) - but - don't actually go there.

Charged her up and turned her over. Engine starts & runs fine, but there is a new scraping/rubbing sound I have not encountered before. This makes me think there is a problem with the driveshaft. The variable speed pulley shaft does not turn with the engine running. I removed the variable speed pulley from its shaft. The shaft seemed to bind when I removed the nut from its end. Could a binding shaft here have caused the driveshaft from the engine to break or otherwise disengage?

If the drive shaft from the engine is broken or disengaged, you will be able to physically see it, and nothing on the bevel gear box or attached to it will be turning when the engine is running. If the shaft is binding, could it be in gear and therefor you are trying to turn the rear wheels? Does it bind when the trans is in neutral?

Opened up a side plate and can see engine driveshaft turning when I turn flywheel. Flanges & fabric?) coupling discs at both ends apparently OK, all nuts/bolts in place. Problem would therefore appear to be in the BGB? Hydrostatic drive won't start unless in neutral, no? So I assume that since it starts, it's in neutral. Driveshaft from BGB (labeled "C" ; part # 164114) binds up when I turn it manually. I then went to turn the engine flywheel and the BGB driveshaft did make about a half turn, then no more. It continues to bind & free up when I turn the BGB driveshaft manually. (Bent?) How do I attack the BGB without spending more than I would to get a new (used) tractor?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to Reed for providing a "new" BGB, hope, and advice. Took about three hours to split the tractor today. (Never done this before.) Found many interesting loose pieces inside the frame. Springs...bushings....nuts...a walnut...a control rod not attached to anything...20 years worth of grass... We found the gears in the BGB had worn so that there were essentially no teeth left - grooves perhaps 1/16" deep marking the sides, but nothing to catch on. We got the old BGB out and removed the driven shaft. The keyway for the hydro end is wallowed out a bit, so we are taking it to a welder to add some material there. Hoping we can figure out where everything goes back and be back in business soon. Are unsure about the spacers & seals for the BGB. The gasket on the back plate of the BGB seems intact, but don't know if we'll need new seals for the shaft. (???) Thanks in advance for any info on this!