Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hooking up a tiller to a Sunstar 20HP, Help?

jbrukardt

Good morning everyone, Im in the market for a heavy duty garden tractor for both mowing of my 3 acres or so of lawn and tilling about 3/4s of an acre of garden. I found a Sunstar 20HP with the Kohler commands that looks really nice, but im a little confused as to the rear PTO. It has a splined shaft, but its set way back in the chassis as seen here [img]http://i.imgur.com/Pto6C.jpg[/img] What im trying to understand is A) What additional gear do i need to hook up a tiller B) What tillers will work? I see that its a 2000RPM pto or so. Another thing thats a little confusing is that the switch for the rear pto is plugged out, not there, and yet the PTO spins anyway. Another picture of the tractor [img]http://i.imgur.com/iRDpE.jpg[/img]

Hmmm, and neither of those kits are available anymore. I could buy the parts individually, but its would run a huge amount and it looks like about 3-4 of the parts are no longer made anymore

Like most of us have done... be on the look out for more tractors. ^ One per implement is nice, hard on the pocket sometimes... but patience and craiglist can help with that. :D

any recommendations as to if I want the engine speed PTO or the 2000RPM pto? There seems to be more implements available for the 2000RPM (honestly, i just need one implement, a tiller) Or is there a clutch I could switch in that would drop it all way down to 540 so the new gear could be used?