Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

speechless

Al

Hi, I went to the Eagle Scout Court of Honor Ceremony for one of my employees. He used to come down to the shop to just learn when he was to young to work for me. He was such a good kid. When he got old enough I hired him. He has 44 merit badges though only 21 are required for Eagle. He flys and has soloed. He is a wonderful employee and a very smart mechanic. He can see what needs to be done and it happens. He went to scout camp and first thing they Knew, he was down at the maint shed fixing equipment. Anyway, as I was setting watching the ceremony, he called me up front and named me as the person who was his greatest mentor. Normally I am very talkative but I was so shocked and choked up, I could barely even get out the word Thank you. I have probably hired 200 young people over the last 45 years and can probably count on both hands the ones that really disappointed me. He is one of the outstanding ones and he will be back in fixing engines in the morning. When school starts, he will still be here part time. I feel so honored and also overrated. Al Eden

Al, Congrats to you for seeing the could be in that young man. He will always treasure the time spent under your wing. It is a saint you are to take the time to invest in someone else's life asking nothing in return except a job well done. My hats off to you sir. Some see the potential and say Why? Others like you see the possible and say Why NOT. Keep on Keeping on you are a credit to the club and the Human Race. Tom Oliver

You have been a huge inspiration to many of us on this site also and are well deserving of the honor the young man bestowed on you! Congratulations Al! Dan

Well done Al! Your patience and investment in that man will continue to propagate through generations, as he is/will certainly do the same as you've shown him through example. We could certainly use a few more like you...and will accept all feel like giving! dOd

Sounds like a great kid, and that your judge of character when hiring was spot on. For the young man to recognize the opportunity and guidance you gave him speaks volumes about both he and you. Congrats, Al, you have much to be proud of.

Make the movie.!! dOd That's wonderful. Impressive. Wow, do I laugh or cry? And you and I had a discussion, with the tables slightly rearranged, about a similar scene. I had to look it up; cos you are living it. And that's the best thing. IMHO you should appreciate that you humbly deserve the honor. Even though, the feast was called to honor others - you were called, in humility. This young fellow is connected to some of the finer principles of life; as are you. This is so above and beyond the simple events. from back in May:
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Al, your post is still exploding on my screen. I missed this line at first: "These are things that you can never use, as if you go upstairs, you are never forgiven at the lower levels. You must always go from the bottom up". and then the lights turned on; so I am compelled to say.... in my own simple words.... I read some really interesting book that talked about being invited to some special gathering, like a wedding feast, or like that, (I forget, it doesn't matter, I could look it up) and how we should conduct ourselves. It was recommended to proceed in the infinite grandeur of humility, and take a seat, unnoticed, at the back of the room, or similar, with the common folk in attendance. The book then said, that if we were called to the head table, that that would be entirely acceptable to all, and no one could find fault, or criticize; nor would anyone be insulted, or threatened. However, for us to assume we somehow have a right to a place at the head table would be disastrous, embarrassing and we could be shunned, and severely criticized, or asked to leave. And that general rejection might follow, not only to the seats at the rear of the hall; but perhaps right out the door! However, if specifically called, or further invited, a simply humble special place might be created, extra seating brought in, space made, and, in general, no effort spared; and there would follow, a feeling of welcome, interest and respect radiating from others, and a light glowing from within. And that, a mere beginning, in a delightful calmness, and in a place of natural self-appreciation, which is even more attractive to others at the head table. The words were quite different; but you get the drift. And there was probably more to it as well; it's been a while. I do hope this is consistent with what you mentioned; and intended. Thank you for sharing - it was very experiential, and I felt a strong and hesitant need to express this. Mysteries and things hidden: it means they can be found; but can never be touched, or used, or claimed; there is no value to things that can. Acknowledgement of the source might bring more; and might not. Have a seat. thx. it's seldom such moments... and having said, I can rest.
http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121388&

Nice job Al dOd Teacher, freind, mentor...EAGLE SCOUT! That phrase means ALOT to me. I have 2 sons that made Eagle Scout. And most people don't know just how much a scout has to learn and do to earn that rank. It is not "given" out it is EARNED! crk8 My fav. was to watch the troop earn their "Polar Bear Badge" by going camping on a freezing weekend in a foot of snow and being totally self reliant, setting up camp, cooking their own food, etc...Or "Swimming Badge" to do a "lake bottom rescue" and swim a total of a 1/2 mile (I think) Anyway congrats on helping to shape somebody that will undoubtably be a good American and a great man. dOddOd

Nice going Al, congratulations! I'm not sure you can do much better than that. I hope you can take some satisfaction and enjoyment from it.

Hi, Thank you for all of the kind words. It wasn't something I worked for or tried to get. I just treated him like everybody else. I have a thing about my business, the thing I like least is having to be a boss. I try to survive with as little of it as possible. I just want to work together and let people do what needs to be done. If we need to stop and solve the worlds problems for a little while, we do. I am rather laid back and tell my people if you let someone get you upset, they are controlling your life. You must control your life. When you are upset you are taking days off your life and working toward high blood pressure etc. When someone raises their voice, lower yours and be in control of the situation. We need to get the work done that needs to be done, but 100- years from now no one will know if we were in panic mode today or comfortable. When I hire someone, I tell them if I am doing something stupid or dumb, tell me, I NEED know. Anyone that thinks he has all of the answers, just hasn't heard all of the questions. Don't say this is stupid, but maybe why do we do this this way. See a new person can walk in and see things we are blind to because this is the way we have always done it. We don't have a lot of rules. We have a philosophy. You don't work for me, you work for the customer. The customer isn't always right, but deserves to be satisfied and treated fairly. When I die, I want no one to be able to say I cheated them, lied to them or screwed them. Treat our customers as you want to be treated. We may never be super rich, but money is a poor measure of ones life. If I was REALLY money driven, I wouldn't spend so much non billable time on the phone helping people with problems etc. If we can keep our head above water and live, what more does one need. Not that we don't need higher goals, and profit does need to be in the equation. Sometimes we get inundated and don't always get things delivered on time, but we try. Other people have the same problems, if they only admit it. When you work here, you are part of a team, not an employee and as such you need to take care of your share of the responsibilities. We have had several students in the past that were having trouble in school and the school called and wanted to know if we could find something for them to do even for 40 minutes or 1 hr a day. The school covers the workmans comp and liability and they get credit in school. We work very closely with the school. I have a story here that would put tears in your eyes, and it turned out to be one of our greatest help outs. By the way Roy was not a school project, he just came and begged for a chance to watch and learn until he became old enough. One heck of a kid. Love him. Al Eden

I can't think of ANYTHING better than time spent teaching a young person. Congrats on having an opportunity to be a part of this young mans life and having the disposition and personality to influence him. You have numerous times had the same influence here and we are all better for it. Thanks for all you do Al, here and around your community.

As a long distance member of this community, I have always known from the responses that you Al, give to us, they are driven by a person that is contributing for better reasons than money and profit, you are a special person, and folks around you know. be proud, and continue, please