Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7010 hydrostat issues

adame

My other tractor is a 1970 or 71 10hp landlord with hydrostat tranny. The axle seals leaked badly on it so I put axle seals on it. It still leaks just not as bad. Plus sometimes to backup I have to put the lever forward then back to reverse for it to backup. The tranny is the one with an oil canister reservoir under the seat. I am wondering if there are other seals that commonly leak and if there is an adjustment for reverse to operate normally.

Hi, I think you have a problem with the linkage and the cam roller on the trans shift arm. Clean and lube these and I expect the problem to get well. Note: Be sure to lube the pivots on the Cam assy also. Al Eden

I had some troubles with my 716H, which I believe would be similar to your 7010. It was different problem perhaps; but some pix might be helpful. The parts Al referred to are shown. His suggestions are a little less involved. It might help you some; or not. www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121508&

I'm thinking this is a Vickers hydro (oil canister reservoir under the seat), so the pics in Grahams post won't be correct but the problem could be the same. Assuming it's a Vickers, I'd also check the neutral position safety switch on the left side of the tractor. If it's not set correctly and lubed well, it can cause the going into reverse problem. As to the seal leaks, the Vickers pintle shaft is notorious for leaking. Do a search on "pintle" and you'll find lots of info. Not much you can do about it unless you spend big bucks to get a re-bushed case. Most of us just live with the drips unless it get real bad.

Manuals I have on various 700/7000 hydros do not indicate the existence of a 10hp hydro - but do indicate existence of a 12 hp hydro - and those would be Sundstrand hydros. Kinda made me wonder. Did they use Vickers hydros in early 7000's? I don't know. I thought perhaps something was changed. sm01 10 hp models were 6-speeds AFAIK. Predecessor 3400-series tractors used Vickers trans. Do we have a mystery tractor?

This could easily have been something that was backhalved sometime in it's life or it could just be and early prodution 7000 series. The early 7000's had provisions for both the vickers/sundstrand, while I don't know of a certain cutoff date for the Vickers, it may have been a case of using the vickers until the supply ran out and then switching to the sundstrand as they became availible. This all sticks out in my mind as it seems I may have had just such a machine some years back and remember doing a backhalf swap just for the leakage reason. I currently have an HB112 that has the Vickers leak issue that I hope to repair once I have sold off some of my excess inventory. !971 or there abouts would have been the first year of the rbt style tractor and should be a 3300 series IIRC followed by the 3400 series (introduction of the cone clutch pto, 3300 was similar to the fdt's) and then the 7000 series. In this timeframe Allis was separated from Simplicity which may explain the lack of any Allis RBT's with the Vickers transmission. IIRC agian Allis came back to Simplicity (or vice versa) 1974-75 ish which is when Allis started selling the 700 series RBT. To the OP if your transmission is leaking it might be possible to swap in a sundstrand as your frame may have the provisions for that transmission as well as those for the vickers. A used Sundtrand transmission is likely to be less exspensive and certianly less time consuming than the Vickers repair! All that you need to look for on your frame is tube into which the the hydro lever mounts into if there are 2 one used and the other unused your are in luck. Of course there have been guys here that have just added that mount and been on their merry way! Now that I've written this chapter, that's my 2 cents worth vlaue accordingly!:D

Might be a 34xx with Vickers trans with a 710 hood. Vickers leak around the pintle shaft. Pretty much have to remove the top half and get it machined to fix that leak properly. There was a place in Illinois that was familiar with the repair but I don't recall the name of the place now. Haven't talked to them in 10 years or so.

I have a 1973 3410H Landlord with a Vicker's. I picked it up for a parts tractor. Are we sure that there was not a 7010H Landlord?

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
I have a 1973 3410H Landlord with a Vicker's. I picked it up for a parts tractor. Are we sure that there was not a 7010H Landlord?
No mention of it on the cover of the manuals. But, what Reed said, it's a possible changeover item. or a hood swap. The 3400's were pretty close to 7000's - ask Larry.
quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
This could easily have been something that was backhalved sometime in it's life or it could just be and early prodution 7000 series. The early 7000's had provisions for both the vickers/sundstrand, while I don't know of a certain cutoff date for the Vickers, it may have been a case of using the vickers until the supply ran out and then switching to the sundstrand as they became availible. This all sticks out in my mind as it seems I may have had just such a machine some years back and remember doing a backhalf swap just for the leakage reason. I currently have an HB112 that has the Vickers leak issue that I hope to repair once I have sold off some of my excess inventory. !971 or there abouts would have been the first year of the rbt style tractor and should be a 3300 series IIRC followed by the 3400 series (introduction of the cone clutch pto, 3300 was similar to the fdt's) and then the 7000 series. In this timeframe Allis was separated from Simplicity which may explain the lack of any Allis RBT's with the Vickers transmission. IIRC agian Allis came back to Simplicity (or vice versa) 1974-75 ish which is when Allis started selling the 700 series RBT. To the OP if your transmission is leaking it might be possible to swap in a sundstrand as your frame may have the provisions for that transmission as well as those for the vickers. A used Sundtrand transmission is likely to be less exspensive and certianly less time consuming than the Vickers repair! All that you need to look for on your frame is tube into which the the hydro lever mounts into if there are 2 one used and the other unused your are in luck. Of course there have been guys here that have just added that mount and been on their merry way! Now that I've written this chapter, that's my 2 cents worth vlaue accordingly!:D
@ Reed There's also another hole on my 700-series frame, for the front-PTO lever, whether it's present or not. I noticed this while doing my hydro repair - and my 700-6speed parts tractor confirmed it. There's an L-shaped bracket on the inner side of that frame (tunnel) which is for holding a safety switch nanny for the front-PTO. Having said that, you made a very interesting post there w the info about both trans fitting the frame in the earlier 70's. dOd Mine is very late (1979 Kohler code) 700-series, and the only hole, besides the pto lever, IIRC, is for the existing Sundstrand hydro stick. Also those hydro lever holes, are like little pipes on the inner side, not just holes in the frame. Also they have nylon(?) bushings in them, when used, to support the hydro stick "pin". There's pix of all that in my previous linked post.

He has referred to the AXLE as the source of the oil leak. In this case I'd guess that the axle has a groove worn into it from the old seal. Now it's rolling the new seal into an off position causing it to still leak. This or a worn bushing allowing the axle to set offset and still leak. As for odd tractor, I'd guess either an engine swap or a rear end swap some where in it's lifetime. I doubt they ever used only a 10HP as with the hydro the tractor would be under powered.

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Manuals I have on various 700/7000 hydros do not indicate the existence of a 10hp hydro - but do indicate existence of a 12 hp hydro - and those would be Sundstrand hydros. Kinda made me wonder. Did they use Vickers hydros in early 7000's? I don't know. I thought perhaps something was changed. sm01 10 hp models were 6-speeds AFAIK. Predecessor 3400-series tractors used Vickers trans. Do we have a mystery tractor?
No it is a 1970 or 71 landlord 10hp with hydro. I get the same question all the time. I was at a simplicity dealer getting belts for it about 10yrs ago and it just happened the head mechanic was taking a coffee break in the office when I told the man at the desk that it was a 10hp landlord hydro and the mechanic told me I was wrong and that there never was a 10hp hydro. It was a little humorous because he was deadset that I didn't know what I was talking about. Then I told him since he was so concerned to walk outside to my truck and look at the tractor in the bed. He was confused when he seen it but then said it must have been one of the last produced that year and they put the hydro in it. He was very knowledgeable and said it was the only one he had seen. So I guess that might answer what your question was about it being a hydro.

quote:
Originally posted by adame
quote:
No it is a 1970 or 71 landlord 10hp with hydro. I get the same question all the time. I was at a simplicity dealer getting belts for it about 10yrs ago and it just happened the head mechanic was taking a coffee break in the office when I told the man at the desk that it was a 10hp landlord hydro and the mechanic told me I was wrong and that there never was a 10hp hydro. It was a little humorous because he was deadset that I didn't know what I was talking about. Then I told him since he was so concerned to walk outside to my truck and look at the tractor in the bed. He was confused when he seen it but then said it must have been one of the last produced that year and they put the hydro in it. He was very knowledgeable and said it was the only one he had seen. So I guess that might answer what your question was about it being a hydro.
Also I know it is all original because my grandfather and his neighbor both bought there tractors new in 1970 or 71. My grandfather got a 16hp and his neighbor my 10hp. My grandfather did the maintenance on it for him until his neighbor ran it till it wouldn't run anymore and then he gave to me for a fixer up project.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Also I know it is all original because my grandfather and his neighbor both bought there tractors new in 1970 or 71. My grandfather got a 16hp and his neighbor my 10hp. My grandfather did the maintenance on it for him until his neighbor ran it till it wouldn't run anymore and then he gave to me for a fixer up project.
Thanks everyone for the input I am going to check the neutral switch and probably just have to deal with the leak. I will let you know how things turnout.

1970 models were fdt's 3200 series, 71 model is 3300 not 7000 series. Pictures would go far in clearing up identity as would model #'s. All hydro fdt's and early rbt's used the vickers transmission that were prone to the pintle shaft leak issue. In looking at the link below the 10hp Landlord in 1971 was availible with the hydro. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1971/simplicity_10hp.htm[/url] Perhaps the the tractor was bought in late 1970 as a new model and Adame referred to it a 70 (as in 1970) 10 (as in 10 hp)? All can say for sure is that it's not likely to be a 7000 series tractor if it was purchased in the early 70's as the 7000 series were produced later in the 70's.

I agree with Reed, some pics would certainly clear up the issue. And if you look at the first pic in the link Reed provided for the 10HP Landlord, the hydro control is Vickers.

sm00 o m g sm00 and the title of the thread is wrong alsoB) 7010's appeared in 75. oh, btw, that's 1975, the year 1975, for clarity. 8) but actually I really am not exactly sure if that's true I think it is; but it could have been something else, near that.B) Hang on while I consult someone.B) :D is this supposed to be easy? :D
quote:
referred to it a 70 (as in 1970) 10 (as in 10 hp)?
No, that would be a new language also. It would mean a 70hp, 10" deck = 70/10. OO what a trainwreck. sm01 I still like Reed's post. sm01