Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax Grader Blade 3 PT hitch CAT 0 question?

jsarro

I am trying to find a rear blade to fit a Powermax type category 0 3 PT hitch. I found this one by Countyline at my local TSC. I believe it is Cat 1 pins, and Cat 0 spacing. http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-sub-compact-rear-blade-5-ft--2122450 The sales clerk measured for me over the phone at approx. 20" apart lower pin bracket distance. Here it is by Behlen Hawkline which I believe to be the manufacturer of the TSC product: http://www.behlencountry.com/index.aspx?ascxid=behlenCatalogProduct&i=1075 Here it is as Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466678_200466678 So if I change the pins out to Cat 0 with bushings, does this look like it will work, and has anyone dealt with this before? Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by chivic
I have that blade and I just changed the pins and it works fine.
Thanks for the response. That is great! Real life experience is invaluable! It sounds like you are happy with it, and it has served it's purpose for you?

I got this response back from Behlen Country on pin spacing. Jack, "Had a message to e-mail you dimensions on the spacing for our 3 pt items, in particular our sub compact line. Typically with Cat 1 units you probably know the industry spec is 26 inches. Since there is no industry spec on Cat 0 implements we manufacture ours to be roughly 20 inches. Some manufactures will make them 19 all the way up to 26 and call them Cat 0, but the bottom line is ours measures to be all about 20 inches between the pins." Thanks Greg. Greg Iburg Behlen Country Sales/Account Manager Phone- (402)562-4167 Fax- (402)563-7447

Jack, I know little about 3ph. but it seems I have read a few threads where the 3ph tractor hitch can be/has been converted to a Cat 1 configuration. Someone w more expertise perhaps could comment on that idea. I think it's about availability of attachments and perhaps easier fitment?. Perhaps/maybe Cat1 is better standard???? I don't think there is a great deal of difference in actual attachments other than availability by hitch-type. I might be very wrong here - but I would look into that for future considerations. I have no direct experience. B) sm01 EDIT - not sure what you are planning or doing - have you looked at box blades and york rakes?

Thanks Graham, I tell you what I think I know so far. ;) My understanding is that pin size and spacing of the lower arms determines the grading of the category of the 3 PT. hitch and implements. This is matched to the particular tractor based upon it's horsepower and size. So the Powermaxes are 19.5 HP. Anything below 20 HP is Cat 0. This subcompact line of implements I am looking at serves the market in 2 purposes. They will easily fit both Cat 0 and Cat 1. The pins can be changed to either and the spacing is 20". So the arms on both Cat 0 and Cat 1 will fit. If I went out and bought a straight Cat 1 implement, it would likely not work because the spacing of the lower pins is usually 26". The only way to change the hitch to Cat 1 would be to change the arms of the hitch to my knowledge to allow them to reach a wider spacing. Then there can be a question of the size of the implements. Some Cat 1 implements could then potentially fit on the hitch, but really be too much for the smaller tractor. If the tires are not big enough, you may not even clear the ground with the implement when you try to pick it up. You are right though there is clearly more availability for cat 1. That is why I am so grateful Behlen makes this sub compact line, and it will work. I am buying this implement for 2 reasons, one to help grade loam that I plan to dump with the FEL, and two to counter weight the FEL. I figured why waste money and tie up the hitch with a weight box, when I can get another tool. This blade is also said to work peachy as a rear snow blade, either pushing or pulling with it. I love the box blades but they are quite a bit more money. I will check for any discounted left overs at TSC when I go there to buy. As far as a rake goes. I have a close neighbor club member who will gladly loan me a chain type rake you can drag. Then the seller of the tractor to me was willing to loan me a york rake. Based on distance I will just borrow my neighbors chain rake for the final prep before I lay down seed in my rear and side yards. Thanks for the interest! sm01

This is the TSC link of compact implements that will fit Cat 0 and Cat 1. http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/nav/cat3/agriculturefarmingranching_3pointequipment_3pointcompacttractorequipment/0

Thanks, Jack. Sounds like you have done your homework on this. The only other thing I can mention is basic manual device, only bigger - a 'landscape rake'. I have a 3' model (recommended). You can also get a 4' model. They can make fast work of a large, or small, area that needs some fine tuning. Maybe you already have one. They are usually aluminum; and useable as a rake or, upside down, as a push. I find mine to be occasionally just the perfect tool. I'm thinking of situations where the tractor can't safely get so close to something like the edge of your patio area. Just a thought; that 'edge' is pretty big. Also, if you are "raking in seed", it's ideal, one pass. Thanks for the info on 3ph cats. sm01