Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repower

lt-scir

I have a 912 A-C ID# 1690516 SER# 4395, with a blown Kohler. I installed a B&S Mod.326437, I have hooked up the starter,and have it mounted in frame. What I have a problem with is ,Do i need a different switch ? What is on tractor is a 5 prong switch. Also there are 2 wires coming of the Stator, One has a mangled looking fuse holder the other is a cut wire. Where do i hook these up to? Thanks for any and all sugestions and coments.

Couple of ways to "fix" it. Different switch and wiring harness. Not all five pin switches are the same. Buy a kit from edens limited for the conversion. Do a search on the Kohler to briggs swap. Search for wiring diagrams for the 912 Allis and the 7112 simplicity, same tractor different engine.

Different ignition systems. Kohler requires power to ignition Briggs does not. If you don't change wiring you will fry coil

More then likely you have a split circuit charging system, 12V-3a DC for the battery and AC for the headlights. If you have a mower or snowblower only 3 amp charge will do the trick. You can separate the the headlight wire and run it with the AC wire. The downfall is the lights change brightness with engine speed. Also DO NOT connect Kohler ignition wire to Briggs engine mag wire, you will fry the Briggs ignition coil.

quote:
Originally posted by lt-scir
Bob, I take it I use the switch from the simplicty ???
Plus you have to relocate the wires as they change position also.

Here's a couple of wiring diagrams with my notes on them when I converted my GTH-L with battery ignition Kohler KT-17 to mag ignition Briggs 16HP single. Your tractor won't have all the safety interlocks, but the basic ignition switch wiring should be the same. As Bob stated, switching ignition switches isn't enough, you have to move some wires.

Got the starter and tractor wired. Now where do I hook up the two wires coming from the stator. Both wires are mangled from a PO. HELP.

To the voltage regulator. It's shown schematically in the top right corner of the lower schematic above and circled in red under the gas tank in this poor quality pic:

More then likely the wire with the fuseholder is your DC wire. You can tell by running a temporary wire direct from the fuse holder to the battery (+) and then run the engine. With a voltmeter switched to DC, run the engine and with the VOM leads on the battery posts, observe the the volatage to see that it increases.. That will be your charging wire. With the other wire connect it to you head lights and run the engine. The lights should change in brightness with RPM change.

quote:
Originally posted by lt-scir
Got the starter and tractor wired. Now where do I hook up the two wires coming from the stator. Both wires are mangled from a PO. HELP.
Have you changed igition switch?

Yes, I have changed the switch and everything seems to work but the charging system. Thanks again for all info. Dean

Once you verify charging system, connect that wire to " A" terminal of the ignition switch. For the lights run the wire direct to light switch as the lights are now powered with engine running.