Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Location of 17GTH-L starter solenoid

midnightpumpkin
I am working on a 17GTH-L (7117)mfg no 1691957 or 1691717) that uses a 4 terminal solenoid. I bought this tractor partially disassembled, the PO had replaced the dash tower with one from an earlier model tractor. I have figured out that I have to drill a hole to mount the neutral safety switch, inside the dash tower, but I am not sure where the starter solenoid should be located. I assume that I will have to drill holes to mount the solenoid, i would like to place it as close to the orginal factory position as I can. A picture of the mounted solenoid would be most helpful, if anyone has one they could post. Thanks, John U

midnightpumpkin
Bob, Remember I am asking this question because I have a dash tower from an older machine. There are no existing holes in the dash tower that can be used to mount the solenoid. I am looking for the correct location to drill these holes. Thanks, John U

PhanDad
A couple more pics of the dash area from the PS install on the 75th. As a reference, maybe your dash has the unused hole that can be seen near the left solenoid bolt.

GrincheyOne
John, The GTH frame is very similar to the 4212LTG, and the solenoid is mounted on the right side under the seat. from there should be a heavy guage lead going to the starter, and one coming from the battery (nearby). On older Landlords and ACs it was usually mounted on the top support bracket for the S/G. It should be shown in the combined owners manual and IPL PDF for the 17GTH. Wayne (somewhere around here I had a picture of that electrical complex on the 4212)